Monday, September 09, 2019

Rainy Monday Ramblings.


The Fall
It is Monday afternoon and I gaze out of the kitchen window at the grey sky and the rain. It is a far cry from Sunday when it was a golden Autumn day. My tiny garden still has quite a bit of colour in it although it is September now and there is a nip in the air in the mornings. My dahlias still look quite nice, and the fuchsias. I didn’t go out of the front door once all day. I sat in my little yard all afternoon basking in the sunshine and reading. I have been reading The Fall by Albert Camus. It is a brilliant book, one of those books which make you question your own life. There is a lot of very dark humour in it as well. On the back of the book it says, ‘Masterful in style and form, the narrative of The Fall is at once elegant, mordant, brilliant with aphorism and paradox’. (I had to look up the meaning of mordant and aphorism, but I absolutely agree). You have to concentrate quite hard when you are reading it to understand the points he is making about the human condition. I got quite tired after a while and had to stop reading because my mind was wandering off. I haven’t quite finished it yet.

I also listened to my new CD which arrived the other day called Together At The Bluebird CafĂ© by Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt & Guy Clark. It’s a nice album. They are all good but of the three I think I liked Steve Earle the best, especially  Mercenary Song, I ain't Ever Satisfied & Copperhead Road. After I played that album I put on I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive which I enjoyed even more. I like the sound of Steve Earle with a band behind him.

I got another book in the post on Saturday. It is called It’s Too Late To Stop Now By Jon Landau. It was published in 1972 in the USA. I saw it on eBay and bought it on a whim because I thought with a title like that it must have lots of Van Morrison content and insights that I could dazzle my Van fan buddies with, or at least some rare photos. I was disappointed though to find it only had one little review of Tupelo Honey. I think I made a bit of a mistake buying that book. Never mind, we live and learn.

Anyway, the rain seems to be easing off. I need to go to the post office and the supermarket. See you later.


No comments:

Popular Posts