Sunday, June 27, 2021

Rainy Sunday Bebop.


A rainy Sunday afternoon in my little corner of the universe. I won’t be going out today. If it wasn’t for Covid I would have been at Glastonbury this week. Before I go any further, I just thought I would tell you something about that. A couple of months ago I was contacted by a journalist called Thomas H Green from a website called The Arts Desk. It is an excellent online magazine covering Cinema, Drama, Opera, The Visual Arts, Books, Comedy, Dance, anything to do with the Arts. Thomas was planning a big article about Glastonbury 1992 and asked permission to use material from one of my stories. I must say I was quite flattered that he thought my stuff was worthy of inclusion. It was published this week. You can see it here if you would like to read it. https://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/oral-history-glastonbury-festival-1992

Right now, I am listening to Miles Davis and Charlie Parker playing in New York in 1948. I chose this recording because it is just the sort of gig that Jack Kerouac would have gone to in those days. He was a great fan of Bebop. What inspired me to listen to it today is a little book I am reading called Kerouac’s Miles, Jack Kerouac & The Music Of Miles Davis by Mike Andrews. It is Number 72 in the Beat Scene Press Pocket Book series. I stumbled across it on a Jack Kerouac Facebook page. The Beat Scene Press is run by a guy called Kevin Ring. I was delighted to find it because I used to buy books from Kevin in the 1980s. It was great to find that he is still producing great things and spreading the word about the Beat Generation writers and others associated with them. I think I first heard of John Fante and Charles Bukowski because of Kevin. If you are interested, you can find out all about Beat Scene here. https://www.beatscene.net/



No comments:

Popular Posts