Monday, June 14, 2021

Time & Sweet Charlotte.


Another glorious day. I am not sure what to write about today because I have not set foot outside the door since Saturday apart from washing down the front yesterday. Later on I watched England win their opening game against Croatia. In the evening I saw the first half of Holland v Ukraine. It was 0-0 when I switched over to BBC 1 at 9.00. I later found out that it was a five-goal thriller that Holland won 3-2. 


The reason I switched channels was because I wanted to watch the second episode of Time which is a compelling three-part drama set in a prison. It stars Sean Bean as the prisoner Mark Cobden who is serving a four-year sentence for causing death by dangerous driving while he was drunk. Stephen Graham plays a prison warden called Eric McNally who is well meaning but is being blackmailed into corruption. It is written by Jimmy McGovern who is a brilliant writer. The performances are first rate, not only by the two main protagonists, but also by the supporting cast such as Anaurin Barnard as the self-harming Bernard who commits suicide, and Brian McCardie as the hardened criminal Jackson Jones. I am looking forward to the final episode next week. Watching it makes you sympathetic to any prisoner who wants to make amends for their crime because the system can destroy any remaining hope and self-respect. As Sue Johnston who plays Sean Bean’s mother says, “You are here as punishment, not to be punished”. Prison should be about rehabilitation, but sadly, it doesn’t seem to work like that. Prison seems to make people worse. Anyway, I think it is the best drama I have seen on television for quite a while.


After that I watched a 1964 black and white film on Talking Pictures TV called Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte starring Bette Davis. It was made to cash in on the success of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? Joan Crawford wasn’t in this one though. I don’t think her and Bette Davis could bear the sight of each other. Olivia De Haviland played the other major role. I enjoyed it, Bette Davis was a superb actress. I also enjoyed the performance of Agnes Moorhead as the slightly demented maid Velma. I mainly remember her as Endora in Bewitched. After that I started watching Goodbye Columbus, but found it boring and went to bed. That was the end of Sunday.

No comments:

Popular Posts