Thursday, July 22, 2021

All My Swim by Faeland.


I received a new CD in the post yesterday called All My Swim by Faeland. After listening to it three times now I think it is a very enjoyable album indeed. Faeland are Rebecca Nelson who is the lead vocalist and also plays guitar, and Jacob Morrison who is a great guitarist and also plays ukulele and banjo. On this album there are six other fine musicians plus several backing singers. The album was recorded in Bristol in 2017. The opening track Too Much begins very quietly with just guitar and Rebecca’s vocals until the band join in. I was immediately reminded of the British folk-rock sound of the early 1970s. We’re Just A Love Song has a more upbeat sound featuring some very accomplished violin playing by Martin Solomon and an excellent guitar solo. Prayer Song has sparse lyrics but is a very evocative mystical meditation on the beauty of nature. The title track All My Swim is a perfect song for the hot weather we are having this summer. The Celtic harp sounds almost like ripples of cool water. It builds to a climatic ending with the drums & percussion of Rowan Sterk who makes a huge contribution to the sound of this album. 


After three listens the standout track for me is Chantress which has a traditional medieval feel to it with lines like ‘A maiden fair is what I seek’. I love the catchy chorus which features backing vocals by Emma Trevens, Holly Marjoram, Lydia Medland, Joan Ward & Jessica Langton. I wonder if the imagery of The Wheel inspired the cover art by Jen Howarth?  Maybe not, but the haunting violin reminded me of Bob Dylan’s Desire album. Strings is another excellent song with the vocals and delicate guitar being a meditation on the joys of solitude. Silent Story and Train both have enigmatic words for me, but I’m sure they have very personal meanings for the writers. Before I go any further, I should also mention the contributions to this album of Lizzie Tucker on bass, Matthew Heyse on piano and Hammond organ, and Sarah Moody on cello. To The Green is a wonderful simple song recorded live with Rebecca’s ethereal vocals just accompanied by ukulele. One of the best songs is saved until last which is Find Me. The atmospheric percussive intro to this song reminded me of Reynardine on the Liege & Leif album by Fairport Convention. Congratulations to Faeland and everyone who worked on this project. If I hear of this band playing anywhere near me, I will certainly go and see them. I have shared a song from the album below. If you want to find out more about Faeland you can find their website here,  https://faeland.co.uk/ 

Faeland.


No comments:

Popular Posts