Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Odds & Ends

Posh v Sheffield Utd.

Sorry I haven’t written anything for over a week. After the excitement of going to Glastonbury it has been a bit quiet around here lately. I have got a couple of gigs coming up at the beginning of October that have been postponed for about 18 months. I’ll tell you all about that when it happens. I have got visitors coming soon as well, so I better start cleaning my wee hovel up a bit. I’ll start this afternoon by cleaning the kitchen floor. I have no excuse for not doing it as it is dull and rainy today, I won’t be going anywhere. If I do an hour a day this place will soon be
ship shape and Bristol fashion (That is a nautical term from the days when Bristol was the leading seaport of Britain and prided itself on all the ships being in good order and everything stowed away nicely) I was looking forward to a great day of sport last Saturday. Things went badly wrong though. My team Peterborough United (The Posh) got hammered 6-2 by Sheffield United and are only one place off the bottom of the Championship league now. They are going to struggle to survive this season. 

Up Mayo!

Also,
County Mayo lost in the All-Ireland Football Final to County Tyrone. I think that is eleven finals they have lost since last winning it in 1951. County Mayo is where my family came from in Ireland. The story goes that a curse was put on the team when they interrupted a funeral while celebrating their 1951 victory, and the curse said that they would never win that trophy again while any member of the 1951 team was still alive. There is still one player from that team still alive. I think he is 95 now. I don’t believe all that nonsense though. Mayo’s day will come soon. 

Emma.

Emma Raducanu
saved the day on Saturday by winning the US Open tennis final in a thrilling match. It was a remarkable achievement considering she is only 18 and had to play in a qualifying tournament in order to take part. A new era in women’s tennis has begun. 
Van Morrison performed two live-stream concerts at the weekend. I watched the first one and it was excellent, Van was on great form. The shows were filmed at Real World Studios which are owned by Peter Gabriel. The studio is just down the road from here in the village of Box. My brother Paul used to live in that village, and he used to meet people who were recording there in the local pub. Elbow were one group he particularly liked meeting. Anyway, that is a brief round up of what I have been up to recently. I better get on with the jobs. See you later.

No comments:

Popular Posts