Saturday, February 17, 2018

Review: Fairport Convention At The Cheese & Grain, Frome February 16th 2018.


I caught the 6.40 train from Westbury yesterday evening and nine minutes later arrived in the quaint little market town of Frome. I was early as usual, so I went in the George Hotel for a drink. It’s a nice place but they charged £4.55 for a pint of Thatcher’s cider so I won’t be returning there for a while. Then I repaired to the Cheese & Grain which must be one of the best music venues in the West Country. We are very lucky to have it on our doorstep and I’ve seen some great acts here over the years, long may it continue. As soon as the doors opened I bagged myself a seat right on the front row by leaving my jacket on the chair. Then went to the bar and got myself a large sauvignon blanc. On the merchandise stall I spotted Fairport’s legendary bass player Dave ‘Peggy’ Pegg. I bought the new album which Dave signed for me. He also agreed to me having my photo taken with him. What a great man he is. 

I’m playing the album now. It is called 50:50@50. That’s because it is a mix of new material and live tracks and celebrates Fairport’s 50th anniversary as a band. I find it hard to believe that it is nearly 50 years since I bought my first Fairport album which was What We Did On Our Holidays. I was still at school at the time. Reading the sleeve notes to the album makes you realise what a great contribution Ric Sanders & Chris Leslie make to the band because they have written most of the new material. There are guest appearances by Robert Plant and Jacqui McShee on the album. It is a great album which I highly recommend.
Then it was time for the guest act who are called Winter Wilson. They are a male/female duo and I liked their short but enjoyable set. I particularly enjoyed a song about Jack London called I’d Rather Be Ashes Than Dust. Another great song was a blues number inspired by the lady singer’s admiration for Bonnie Raitt. At the end of their set they were joined by Fairport for a song called There’s Life In The Old Dog Yet.

Winter Wilson left the stage and Fairport began their set with the very powerful and political Jewel In The Crown written by Julie Matthews. In these days of Brexit & Trump we need more songs like this. I should mention that the line-up of the band hasn’t changed for many years now. It is still Simon Nicol, Dave Pegg, Gerry Conway, Ric Sanders & Chris Leslie. Simon told the audience that the band were now on their fourth bus of this tour because the buses kept breaking down. That led into a very jolly Chris Leslie song called The Bus Rolls On which is all about the members of the band and recalls other songs in their history such as Walk Awhile and Meet On The Ledge. Simon then introduced the classic Crazy Man Michael from their Liege & Lief album which is the greatest folk/rock album of all time. Chris played some haunting whistle on this song. Shuffle & Go is a wonderful rocky dance number with Chris again excelling on vocals and harmonica. Ric Sanders then proved that he is a comedian as well as musician by telling some great jokes. This led to his composition Portmeirion which is a beautiful instrumental. This was followed by Hawkwood’s Army from their Sense Of Occasion album of 2007. The first half of the show ended with the sad story of John Condon who came from Waterford and was the youngest soldier to die in the Battle Of Ypres. This song is on their excellent Myths & Heroes album which I bought three years ago when I last saw Fairport at this venue.

During the interval I got myself another large wine and then the second half began with the rousing John Gaudie and this was followed by Doctor Of Physick written by Richard Thompson and the late great Dave Swarbrick. It was originally on the Full House album of 1970 which I think was when Peggy joined the band. I remember at the time really missing Sandy Denny who had just left to form Fotheringay. A fabulous song written by the great Ralph McTell was next which was Clear Water in which Chris played some great whistle. The lively little number called Gallivant was next up after more jokes by Ric. The Wood And The Wire is a great song written by Chris and Thea Gilmore’s husband Nigel Stonier. Another equally fabulous song followed which was Weightless written by James Wood. Summer By The Cherwell is another jolly song which celebrates their famous annual festival at Cropredy. Sandy Denny was only in the band for a very short period, but her contribution was epic and Simon Nicol sang a great version of her classic Who Knows Where The Time Goes? Another great Chris Leslie song about an ill-fated expedition of 1850 to find the Northwest Passage called Mercy Bay was followed by the great Matty Groves. The band left the stage, but we knew they would return. They were joined once again by Winter Wilson for a rousing rendition of Meet On The Ledge.
After the show my friends Dave and Sarah kindly gave me a lift back to Westbury and I had time for a quick pint of cider in the Ludlow Arms. Thank you very much Fairport Convention for a great evening in Frome. If you get the chance to see them on the remainder of this tour then I urge you to go along, you won’t be disappointed. Also, buy the new album, it is great.


                          

No comments:

Popular Posts