Monday, July 09, 2018

Seeing Van Morrison At Llangollen Eisteddfod.


So, I set out one midsummer’s morning on yet another of the world’s great train journeys, Westbury to Chirk, changing trains at Bristol, Birmingham and Shrewsbury. The journey was uneventful, I passed the time reading a book called A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, or I gazed out of the window, alone with my thoughts, what did the night have in store? Little did I realise the fabulous drama that lay ahead. Finally, I arrived in the quaint little town of Chirk. I was glad to get off the hot overcrowded train. I went to college near here in Wrexham and used to pass through Chirk every day 45 years ago when I was on teaching practice, so when I got my first glimpse of the famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct all the memories came flooding back.

My hotel turned out to be about 3 miles outside Chirk, so I had to get a taxi there. It was a really nice hotel. My room overlooked the Llangollen Canal and I sat on the balcony and watched the boats drift by. I could have walked to Llangollen along the canal, but I was too tired, and I didn’t fancy walking across the aquaduct. I watched the first half of France v Uruguay in the World Cup then took a cab into town. When I arrived in Langollen the streets were closed to traffic because there was a parade through the town of choirs from all over the world who were appearing at the Eisteddfod. It was quite spectacular, colourful and good fun. 

I had a quick pint in the Bridge End Hotel because you never know who might be hanging about but I didn’t spot anyone I knew so I made my way to the Ponsonby Arms.
As soon as I walked through the door I spotted friends Othmar & Daria from Switzerland who I don’t think I had seen since Cyprus Avenue in 2015. They were with Filippo & Dana from Italy who I hadn’t met before, but they are really nice people.  We were joined by Van Fan Dutch who reminded me that we had met a few years ago when Van played the Albert Hall in London. A nice lady from Belgium arrived, I think her name is Lut. It was a great little gathering of international Van fans. Then Jane & Charlie from Oxford arrived with their lovely little dog Aggie and it was especially great to see Cuttsy from Manchester who I hadn’t seen for years. I thought he had almost given up going to Van concerts.
Filippo, Me, Othmar.

After a while it was time to go to where the festival was being held. I noticed they were selling Wrexham lager, I should have bought a pint for old times sake because that’s what I used to drink in the olden days when I lived near here. Anyway, I wanted some food and I was sitting at a table with Jane and who should come along but John C who I last saw at Nell’s club in London. Then we were joined by Linda & her daughter from the USA who I hadn’t met before and it was nice to meet Fumiko for the first time as well.  When we took our seats, who should I see but Miquel & Elena from Spain and their two daughters. I could see Hugh as well down nearer the front, but I don’t think he saw me. The concert was in a huge marquee and the stage looked spectacular, absolutely bedecked with flowers. I sensed this show was going to be something special, but I had no idea how great it would be.
Linda's Daughter, Linda, John C, Fumiko, Cuttsy, Jane, Me.

When the band shuffled on stage it was a nice surprise to see Jay Berliner back on acoustic guitar and also Tony Fitzgibbon returning on violin. It was almost like the Van band of about eight years ago. This band is even better than that though because now we have the wonderful Teena Lyle on percussion and Dana Masters on backing vocals. The other members of this splendid ensemble are Mez Clough on drums, Paul Moore on bass, Dave Keary on guitar and Paul Moran on keyboards and trumpet. It is 50 years since the Astral Weeks album was released and tonight’s show turned out to be a homage to that album.  The show began with three tracks from the greatest album of all time which were Astral Weeks, The Way Young Lovers Do and Sweet Thing. The best start to a Van Morrison concert that I have heard in many a long year. I can see Van’s thinking in having Jay, Tony and Teena in this band because their contributions were essential in capturing the magic of Astral Weeks.  (See my video of Sweet Thing below and I think you will agree) It was back to more familiar recent territory then for the medley of Baby Please Don’t Go/ Got My Mojo Working. It was very enjoyable with Dave Keary showing what a fine guitar player he is. Then Dana and Van sang a beautiful duet of Sometimes We Cry. A real treat for me followed which was One Irish Rover. I can’t remember the last time I saw Van perform this great song from the No Guru album. Teena played what looked like a recorder to me, it sounded very nice and Tony’s contribution was marvelous as well. 

The wonderful Days Like this pleased this audience, as did the upbeat version of Have I Told You Lately which I don’t think the hardcore fans are that keen on. Never mind, the next song was Foreign Window, again from No Guru which I sometimes think is Astral Weeks re-visited in many ways, with similar themes and phrases in the lyrics. It was sublime, as was Beside You with Jay again demonstrating his virtuosity. Wild Night woke up the audience who seemed to be in a hypnotic state and then it was one of my favourite Van songs of all time Listen To The Lion. I hadn’t heard Van perform this song live since Dublin in 2003. Another great song was Little Village which always comes alive when performed on stage, with Tony excelling on mandolin, Paul on trumpet and Van on Saxophone. Van’s voice by the way is as great as ever. No singer has looked after their voice better than Van Morrison. Then it was the obligatory Moondance which I suspect for many in this audience was their highlight of the evening, but not for me. They also seemed to really enjoy Broken Record probably because of it getting a lot of air play on Radio 2. Van and the band seem to enjoy playing it, especially Teena who always seems to be really enjoying herself on stage. Then it was back to the truly great music with Did Ye Get Healed? which took me right back to the fabulous Van shows we used to get in the early 90’s. This show in Llangollen was like a renaissance of that era. If that song was great the next one was in the stratosphere. It was Slim Slow Slider with Van on acoustic guitar and he even added new lyrics about ‘Your fur coat is lying on the floor and a note that says, you don’t live here anymore’. Van was still singing as he left the stage. We knew he would be back, which he was for the usual suspect of Brown Eyed Girl.
Othmar, Lut, Daria, Dana, Filippo, Van Fan Dutch.
When I got outside I saw John C and Cuttsy who wasn’t the ‘misery from Manchester’ anymore. We all agreed it was one of the best Van shows in years. I said cheerio to them and made my way to the Bridge End Inn where I had a last drink with Miquel, Elena, children, Othmar, Daria, Filippo and Dana. Everyone was buzzing from the brilliant concert. Finally, at 11.00 my taxi arrived, I got into my hotel room and fell fast asleep, exhausted after a long fabulous day that I’ll remember for a long long time to come. I was blissfully unaware of how exciting the following day would also be.

TO BE CONTINUED………………………………

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Evening, Pat. If I'd known about meeting at the Ponsonby Arms, I'd not have been sitting at a meeting spot all Thursday afternoon in the Eisteddfodd. If you'd seen my Facebook message on Wednesday about meeting up, you might have alerted me. Thanks anyway, Hugh.

Popular Posts