Friday, January 18, 2019

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros : Here.


I stayed in this afternoon. I was looking through my cd’s for some music to listen to and I came across an album I had never heard before. It was still in it’s shrink-wrap. An American friend had kindly sent me several albums a few years ago and somehow, I had managed to overlook this one until today. It is by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, and called Here. It was the second album by this group and was released in 2012. It reached number 5 on the US charts but didn’t make much impression in the UK. I must admit I had never heard of this band before. I think the first thing to know about the group is that there is no such person as Edward Sharpe. Just like David Bowie invented Ziggy Stardust  the name was invented as the alter-ego of the front man and songwriter Alex Ebert.

I give this album a definite thumbs up. After one listen and then listening to various tracks on youtube I really like this band. They seem to be quite a large ensemble of seven band members with eight others also playing on the album. There are male and female vocalists and backing singers. The lead vocalists appear to be Alex Ebert and Jade Castinos. There is also a multitude of instruments played, some of them quite unusual such as didgeridoo, charango, ronrocco and omnichord. I had never heard of some of those before. To me the sound is quite like 60’s psychedelia and quite folky. 

Some songs such as That’s What’s Up have a gospel feel to them. The whole album has a kind of ramshackle spontaneous feel to it which is part of it’s charm. The themes of the songs seem to be about love and spirituality which is ideal for an old hippy like me. My favourite songs so far are the first song Man On Fire, also, I Don’t Wanna Pray, Mayla and Dear Believer. I’m really pleased I finally got around to listening to this album today. Don’t take my word for it though. I have put a video below of them singing one of the songs in Manchester Cathedral, England and there are many other great videos of this band on youtube.

2 comments:

Sofia Engelke said...

Pat, I love this group, I first saw them on a documentary when the whole band went on a train and gave concerts along the way. I saw the film Festival Express with Janis Joplin and friends and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros did the same.

Pat said...

Thanks for your feedback Sofia. I'm glad you like this band. Thanks for taking the time to read my stuff.

Cheers.

Popular Posts