Monday, January 21, 2019

I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight.


I got up at 2.30 this morning hoping to see the super blood red moon. I went downstairs and peered out of the kitchen window, but it was too cloudy. I couldn’t see a thing. I went back to bed till 9.00. I had to go to the post office so caught the 11.25 over to Warminster. After posting the package I headed to the music shop because I thought I deserved another cd. I bought I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight by Richard & Linda Thompson. I have several Richard Thompson albums but I have never owned this one and have been meaning to purchase it for ages. Feeling quite pleased with myself I bought a J2O in Wetherspoons and waited  for my friend Sian to turn up. When she finally arrived I bought her a chardonnay but I didn't have one as it was day 21 of dry January. Only ten days to go. It has been a breeze not drinking. I haven’t missed it at all and feel a lot better for it.

We had a chat for an hour or so and then I made my way home. It was a nice afternoon, cold but sunny. I played my new album and I must say it is a classic. I knew it would be. Released in 1974 it was the first album RT made with his wife of the time Linda Thompson. I like her singing on this album. I also like the contributions of all the ensemble, including a brass band. The songs are about the homeless, thieves, beggars, and drunks. The subject matter doesn’t depress me though, I found the music very uplifting. The title track is my favourite at this stage (See video below) , but I love all of it. Withered And Died is another song I think is a classic and Down Where The Drunkards Roll. Every track is worthy of praise though. If you haven’t heard this record before then I urge you to do so.

This evening I have just been watching the telly. University Challenge first, and I’m just watching a series about icons of the 20th century. The viewers have to vote for their favourite icon. Tonight, was about activists and the choices were Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Emily Pankhurst and Helen Keller. That is a difficult choice to choose the most deserving of those. I think I might choose Gandhi because I think his achievements through non-violent protest were a big influence on Martin Luther King.

No comments:

Popular Posts