Monday, January 28, 2019

No Smoking.


As well as being Dry January Day 28, It is also one year ago today since I last smoked a cigarette. I am still a nicotine addict but these days I use the electronic e-cigs. The benefits to me have been enormous. My fingers used to be stained yellow with tobacco and my clothes stank. It was disgusting. Also, I had a terrible cough, especially in the mornings. If somebody phoned me up I used to be coughing down the phone at them. The cough has completely disappeared. I have got a lot more energy as well. These days I can go for a walk without getting out of breath. I think I feel about ten years younger. Another benefit is that I am financially better off. When I couldn’t get roll-up tobacco, I used to be buying two packets of cigarettes a day. That is almost £20 a day spent on something that kills you, which is insane. I still have to buy the e-cigs but they are much, much cheaper. I am pockets a jingle with money I used to waste on ciggies.
I have noticed other little benefits as well. When I was smoking if I had to go on a long train journey, I wasn’t allowed to smoke which was quite stressful. I would arrive at my destination in a very irritable mood. With the e-cigs though you can have a crafty puff and nobody notices. The same applies to pubs, you don’t have to go outside and stand in the rain with the other sad cases anymore. Another benefit is that I have a better appetite for food, and I can actually taste it. When I was working a few years ago, at tea-break I would smoke three cigarettes one after another and not bother eating my sandwiches. I would rather smoke than eat. It was pathetic.

I’d like to give up the e-cigs as well if I could, but I don’t know if that will ever happen. I don’t think the drug nicotine in itself is harmful although it is addictive obviously. Anyway, I think stopping smoking cigarettes is one of the best things I have ever done and I would advise anyone who smokes to try vaping for a couple of weeks until you get used to it. You won’t regret it.


No comments:

Popular Posts