Monday, January 07, 2019

Safe At Anchor by Kate Wolf.


When I got home from Warminster this afternoon, I was pleased to see the postman had delivered a CD. It is Safe At Anchor by Kate Wolf. I stumbled across Kate Wolf’s music late one night just before Christmas on youtube, liked what I heard and ordered an album on the spur of the moment. I didn’t know anything about her. On Wikipedia I discovered that Kate Wolf January 27, 1942 – December 10, 1986 was an American folk singer and songwriter. Though her career was relatively short, she had a significant impact on the folk music scene, and many musicians continue to cover her songs. Her best-known compositions include "Here in California," "Love Still Remains," "Across the Great Divide," "Unfinished Life," and "Give Yourself to Love."  Her songs have since been recorded by artists such as Nanci Griffith and Emmylou Harris (whose recording of "Love Still Remains" was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1999). Sadly Kate  died in 1986, at age 44, after a long battle with leukemia. I listened to the album twice this afternoon and I like it a lot. She has a beautiful voice and I love the playing of the other musicians instruments such as piano, mandolin & accordion. It takes a while to get really familiar with an album but after two listens I think my favourite songs are Early Morning Melody and Two Way Waltz. If you scroll down you can hear a song by Kate Wolf. It is a real shame that she died at such a relatively young age before her fame had grown.



No comments:

Popular Posts