Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Faces In The Rocks by Mariee Sioux.


It was a wild and windy Tuesday morning. The weather forecast was grim as well. “I won’t be venturing out on a day like this”, I thought to myself.  I knew there were plenty of jobs I could do indoors to pass the time, but I couldn’t get motivated to bother. Suddenly, I was shaken from my reverie by a knock on the door.
It was the post lady with a small package which contained a CD I had ordered a few nights ago. It is called Faces In The Rocks by Mariee Sioux. I had stumbled across her on youtube and liked what I heard. It is her first studio album, released in 2007. I am on my second listen now and I must say it is a very nice album indeed. I would describe it as psychedelic folk music. There is very much a native American influence. Mariee plays acoustic guitar and sings but she is accompanied by a female native American flautist called Gentle Thunder who plays native flutes, buffalo drum, cymbals, rainstick and bass drum. Her father Gary Sobonya plays mandolin. There is also a bass player and a cellist.

If you like music by the likes of Nick Drake or Vashti Bunyan I think you would enjoy this album. Mariee Sioux also reminds me a little of Linda Perhacs, especially in the pure vocal harmonies. It is very atmospheric, haunting and ethereal. There are only eight songs but it lasts fifty minutes. It is too early for me to choose a favourite song (possibly Bundles) because they all sound great. The whole album has a consistency of mood which has created a nice vibe in my house today. I am quite surprised that I hadn’t heard of Mariee Sioux before, but I am pleased that I have discovered this wonderful album. I have added a video of the opening track Wizard Flurry Home to my blog page to give you an idea of what the album sounds like.



No comments:

Popular Posts