Sunday, January 26, 2020

Moondance at 50.

It is a rainy dark Sunday afternoon and I have been listening to Moondance by Van Morrison. The reason is because it was 50 years ago tomorrow on January 27th, 1970 that it was released, and I consider it one of the greatest albums ever made. I’m listening to the expanded 2-CD version that came out about 5 years ago. One of the CDs is the original remastered album and the other CD is 11 outtakes including previously unreleased songs. There is also a booklet with the original sleeve story by Janet Planet.  It is the original album that I want to talk about. I have dusted off a review that I wrote several years ago and hopefully improved it.

I'm not sure when I first heard Moondance. It might have been when I lived in Wrexham, Wales. I was living in digs at Mrs Bell’s but was never there. I was always at my friend’s house in a village called Ponciau (Pronounced Ponky). I used to go back to Mrs Bell’s on Sunday evenings for tea and because she was getting all this rent for nothing, she used to give me pocket money. Anyway, at Ponciau was this girl called Christine and her boyfriend Dave and he had a copy of Moondance. I remember hearing it also at a party in a farmhouse at Bangor On Dee. It made a nice change from all the psychedelic music of the time. Moondance was real music played by real people on real instruments. I reckon I must have bought this album about six times over the years, often as a birthday present for people to get them into Van.  Astral Weeks reveals its secrets to the listener with repeat playing, but I think Moondance is instantly accessible to the listener. It is packed with some of the greatest songs in popular music which you can get into on first hearing the album. It is a complete change from Astral Weeks. It’s not a string driven Jazzy folky thing, it is more of an R n B soul record with brass, electric guitars and backing singers.

The opening track is And It Stoned Me. As a child Van had mystical experiences and this song is a fine example of that, where a simple thing like two kids on a day out fishing can be filled with a sense of wonder and just the sensation of cold water becomes almost an out of body experience. I know what Van means because the song reminds me of when I was about 10 years old my class went to Peterborough swimming pool with our teacher for swimming lessons. It was an outdoor pool unheated and we all had to jump in the shallow end. The shock of the cold water nearly killed me. It was horrible, I wasn't filled with a sense of wonder I can tell you; I was filled with a sense of being bloody freezing. Anyway, Van had a much more pleasant experience.

The title song Moondance is just about Van's most famous song, along with Brown Eyed Girl and has helped to make him world famous. The amount of times this song is played on BBC Radio 2 must have made him known to millions of people and helped to fill the venues. It has almost become de regueur that he sings it in concert. I have heard him do some pretty bland performances of Moondance and he lets the band all have a solo. However, this is a classic song which shows Van is as great a jazz singer as Frank Sinatra, if not better. I am surprised Frank never recorded this song because it was tailor made for him in my opinion. Van even invents a new word in this song, fantabulous.

If Moondance proved that Van could out do Frank at the jazz singing, then Crazy Love shows that as a soul singer he is the equal of Smokey Robinson or The Rev Al Green or any of those great soul singers. I think it is probably his best love song ever.and his voice has never sounded better than when he delivers this falsetto style. It makes you feel mellow down to your very soul. I notice one of the backing singers on this album is Judy Clay. I remember when I was about 15 buying Private Number by William Bell and Judy Clay, one of my favourite songs in 1968.
The tempo is changed totally for Caravan. This song really comes into its own in live performance. I am particularly thinking of Vans storming rendition in the film The Last Waltz and the sublime extended version on the live It's Too Late To Stop Now album. The version on this album is brilliant, conjuring up images of gypsies around a campfire, radio's and electric lights. If you are listening to it right now TURN IT UP !!! so you know it’s got soul.  

Gypsy images crop up again in Into The Mystic which is one of the greatest songs ever written in the history of popular music. It is perfect, I especially like the term Bonnie Boat. It has occurred to me that it refers to Bonnie Prince Charlie, pretender to the throne who was defeated by the English at the bloody Battle of Culloden in 1756. Whilst on the run he met young Flora McDonald who agreed to help him escape. They escaped in a rowing boat to the Isle Of Skye. Charlie and Flora's flight is immortalised in the traditional Scottish song The Skye Boat Song which Van has recorded recently as an instrumental on his Versatile album. The chorus goes-Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wing, Onward the sailors cry, Carry the lad that's born to be king, Over the sea to Skye. The similarity to Into The Mystic is uncanny. Ere the bonnie boat was won, as we sailed into the mystic, Hark, now hear the sailors cry, Smell the sea and feel the sky.  At the end Van declares in triumph that It's too late to stop now. After the initial disappointing public response to Astral Weeks Van knew that what he was recording was so good he couldn't be ignored any longer. He had a hit album on his hands and after all his trials and tribulations he had arrived. There was no turning back now.

The first five songs on this album are among the greatest songs ever written, so it is no surprise that the rest of the album doesn't quite reach these heights. That would be asking too much. When you are pitching in at the level of Into The Mystic it becomes difficult.
Come Running is a pleasant upbeat happy song that was released as a single in the USA. These Dreams Of You is another upbeat song with obscure lyrics about Ray Charles being shot down and paying dues in Canada. Van had some strange dreams. Brand New Day is my favourite of the rest. Van had a really hard time after the demise of Them and had a real big struggle to realise his dreams and this song sums up how he felt. With the recording of Moondance he knew he had finally expressed his vision and he was home and dry and it felt like a brand-new day. There is a cover version of this song by Miriam Makeba that I really like. Everyone is the speediest song and has a clavinet intro. I thought it was a harpsichord at first. It is a positive happy song but possibly my least favourite song on the album, but it would be churlish to criticise any song on this album. Glad Tidings is a brassy positive soul song to close the album. The lyrics talk about businessmen talking in numbers and 
strangers making demands which is probably about Van’s suspicions about the music business.

I have enjoyed revisiting Moondance again today. Let's hope that people will still be able to enjoy this great music in another 50 years time.

No comments:

Popular Posts