Friday, May 28, 2021

Rise Up Like The Sun by The Albion Band.


What a nice day it is. Firstly, I heard the good news that Van Morrison is returning to Glastonbury Abbey on September 4
th, so that is something to look forward to. Secondly, the weather has improved. Yesterday I spent all afternoon in my yard listening to music. Thirdly I got a new album in the post which I will tell you about. It is not the CD I originally ordered which was Bright Phoebus by Mike & Lal Waterson, a legendary rare album that I was eager to hear. The eBay shop where I ordered it from sent me a message to say it was damaged, and did I want a refund, or order something else? I looked to see what else they had in stock and ordered Rise Up Like The Sun by The Albion Band. I bought this album on vinyl when it was first released in 1978 and loved it. In my view it is one of the classic albums of the Folk-Rock genre. The CD which arrived today also has four bonus tracks which I had not heard before.


The Albion Band was the brainchild of Ashley Hutchings, also in the band are Simon Nicol and Dave Mattacks. Richard Thompson is a guest on the album as well, so you have most of Fairport Convention from their golden era of late 60s/ early 70s here. Ric Sanders who later joined Fairport is also in the band. Other members are, John Tams, Phil Pickett, Pete Bullock, Michael Gregory and Graeme Taylor. There is also a star-studded cast of guests, including the wonderful Kate McGarrigle, Julie Covington, Linda Thompson, Pat Donaldson, Martin Carthy and Andy Fairweather-Low. The opening track Ragged Heroes was written by John Tams who sings it with Martin Carthy & Andy Fairweather-Low helping out on vocals. The next song Poor Old Horse is a classic and my favourite song on this great album. It starts slowly but builds relentlessly. I think it was developed from a sea shanty with great chord progressions and chanted backing vocals from seven singers. Afro Blue /Danse Royale is a combination of a John Coltrane jazz piece and a medieval tune. Ric Sanders was responsible for this track, and you can see the jazz fusion influences he brought from his previous band Soft Machine. Phil Pickett contributes some wonderful medieval bagpipe sounds into the mix.


 Ampleforth / Lay Me Low is a traditional fiddle tune leading into a John Tams arrangement inspired by a Shaker psalm. Time To Ring Some Changes was written by the great Richard Thompson. House In The Country is another favourite of mine because it features the voice of Kate McGarrigle. It is an early 20th century song in the traditional style about homelessness which is still an issue today unfortunately. The Primrose is two variants of a very lively traditional tune which was learned from melodeon virtuoso John Kirkpatrick. The final song Gresford Disaster is an epic ballad tale of a coal mining disaster which happened in North Wales in 1934. I know all about it because I went to college near that coalmine, and we did a drama production based on the story. The four bonus tracks are great and include The Postman’s Knock, a jolly song which was released as a single, Pain And Paradise is another song developed from a sea shanty, it features guest vocals by Viola Wills. There is another version of Lay Me Low and finally another Richard Thompson song Rainbow Over The Hill featuring Linda Thompson on vocals. I have loved listening to this great album again today. I am still determined to find a copy of Bright Phoebus though. When I succeed, I’ll let you know. Have a nice weekend.



No comments:

Popular Posts