Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Grave of Thomas Helliker

It was Sober October day 15 yesterday, and I was feeling a bit cooped-up indoors, so thought I would catch the bus over to Trowbridge and have a look at the shops. I bought a fur lined hoodie type thing in Next that might be warm in the winter, and then had a mooch around a couple of charity shops until I got bored. When I got back to the bus stop, I found it was half an hour until the next bus home. How could I wile away the next 30 minutes? I remembered that I had read about a 19th century poet called George Crabbe who was rector of St James Church from 1814 to his death in 1832. I had never heard of him before, but apparently, he was very influential in his day, and Benjamin Britten had even based an opera on one of his poems. There was a memorial to him in the church. 

Crabbe Memorial.
I thought I could add him to my list of famous graves I have visited. As you may know, in the last few years I have seen the graves of George Orwell, Thomas Hardy, Lawrence of Arabia, Laurie Lee, Seigfried Sassoon, Thomas Moore, C. Day Lewis and others. When I entered the church, I found there was some sort of service or event going on, with lots of people sitting in the pews. I didn’t want to disturb them and beat a hasty retreat. So, I didn’t get to see George’s memorial, but I can’t say I was exactly disappointed. I had a quick look in the churchyard instead. Most of the headstones were so old and faded you couldn’t read them. One tomb caught my eye though because it had obviously been well looked after. There was even a faded wreath on top of it. The inscription had been restored in recent years. It read-

                                                         Sacred to the memory of

                                                               Thomas Helliker

The thread of whose life was cut in the bloom of youth. He exchanged mortality for immortality March 22, 1803, in the 19th year of his age. The fatal catastrophe which led to this unfortunate event is too awful to describe. Suffice it say that he met his death with the greatest fortitude and resignation of mind. Considering his youth he may be said to have but few equals. He died a true penitent. Being very anxious in his last moments that others might take a timely warning and avoid evil company. This tomb was erected at his earnest request by the cloth making factories of the counties of York Wilts and Somerset as a token of their love to him and veneration of his memory.

A second inscription was added later:

                                      This tomb was formerly placed over the remains of

                                                               Thomas Helliker

At a time of great disturbance throughout the manufacturing towns of this county. He was condemned for an offence against the law of which he was afterwards believed to be innocent and determined to die rather than give testimony which would have saved his own life but forfeited the lives of others. Some of the cloth-workers of this town being so desirous to perpetuate the remembrance of such an heroic act of self-sacrifice have restored this memorial in the year of our lord 1876.

I found this fascinating, and much more interesting than George Crabbe. When I got home, I immediately looked on Wikipedia to find out more about Thomas HellikerI discovered 'Thomas Helliker (23 March 1784 – 22 March 1803), known as The Trowbridge Martyr, was a figure in early English trade union history who was hanged, aged 19, for his alleged role in machine-breaking at a Wiltshire woollen mill. His conviction has been challenged as controversial and faulty, and he is now regarded as a victim of anti-Luddite sentiment'. He was a shearman’s apprentice, a highly skilled cutter or finisher of cloth. He worked at Littleton Mill, Semington, around 3 miles from Trowbridge. On July 22nd, 1802, a riot was organised by workers unhappy with the new machinery which threatened their livelihoods. They attacked the mill, and it was destroyed by fire. Thomas was identified as a main culprit by a man called Heath who collected £500 reward money for his dubious evidence. A man called Warren had earlier claimed he had been drinking with Thomas on the night in question, but this evidence of an alibi was not heard in court. The jury took only ten minutes to find him guilty and he was publicly hanged outside Fisherton Jail in Salisbury on March 23rd, 1803. 

Last Letter.
His friends claimed his body and carried him across Salisbury Plain for burial in Trowbridge. There is an annual wreath laying ceremony on his anniversary organised by trade unionists. The last letter he wrote to his family is on display in Trowbridge Museum which I’ll try and visit the next time I’m in Trowbridge. I’m very pleased that I accidentally came across the grave of Thomas Helliker. It is a reminder of the terrible conditions and harsh laws that prevailed before the advent of trade unions which fought for the workers’ rights which we enjoy today, but take for granted at our peril.

Annual Memorial.

No comments:

Popular Posts