Thursday, March 18, 2021

Van Morrison, Princess Theatre, Torquay In 2006


One of the highlights of 2006 for me and Kim was meeting Van's daughter Shana when she appeared at Bristol Harbour Festival. She sang  versions of Sweet Thing and Sometimes We Cry and we met Shana after the gig. She kindly signed a CD for us. I had a little chat with her and told Shana that the last time saw her was back in 94 at Exeter University when she duetted with Brian Kennedy.  What a nice lady she is. A couple of weeks later we saw Van again for two shows in Torquay. It had been nine months since we last saw Van on a cold December night in Bristol when he first revealed his country songs. The journey to Torquay was nice, once you get past Exeter and the train runs right along the beautiful Devon coast until you reach Torquay on the English Riviera.


I was pleased to see Katie Kissoon back in the band on vocals because I had not seen Katie since my first Van concert in 1979. Fame was the opening song and I usually dislike this song but it seemed a lot better tonight. Then Enlightenment which was a rarely heard song back then. This was followed by Only A Dream, one of the best songs from Down The Road. Then Choppin' Wood which isn't one of my favourites, followed by I'm Not Feelin' It Any More. I remember Van singing this at his Wembley Arena show in 96.  What Am I Livin' For? was followed by Magic Time and then Moondance with the usual solo spots for most of the band.

 It was then time for the highlight of the evening which was I Can't Stop Loving You with Crawford Bell, Katie and another girl excelling themselves on vocals. Then it was Bright Side Of The Road which is always a crowd pleaser. A nice version of Have I Told You Lately? followed and I was pleased that Van had dropped the Las Vegas version. A  country style version of Precious Time followed, then Crazy Love with Van displaying all his vocal brilliance and Katie getting warm applause for her verse. Playhouse followed and for me this is one of my least favourites from Pay The Devil. The tour de force that is Streets Of Arklow followed, which segued into You Don't Pull No Punches. Here Comes The Night was next and then Wild Night which was superb as was Help Me with Van telling the audience that it was a Sonny Boy Williamson song. Then it was the usual finish of Brown Eyed Girl and Gloria.

The next morning we had breakfast in Wetherspoons and a couple of Magner's Irish ciders. At 6.00 thousands of people lined the sea front for a spectacular flying display by The Red Arrows who are one of the worlds leading aerial aerobatics teams. We met up with the gang in the Mambo bar and then went to the show. Our seats were at the front with a great view of the band. Katie looked especially great in her slinky black dress. The performance was even better than the night before. Steal My Heart Away, Ancient Highway/In The Afternoon, One Irish Rover, Wonderful Remark, What Makes The Irish Heartbeat and St James Infirmary being the songs that were different to the night before. Everyone agreed that both shows were brilliant. Van shows at the Princess Theatre are always memorable for one reason or another. I have seen him perform there on several occasions, so let's hope there is more to come in the future.

No comments:

Popular Posts