When I got home from Warminster this afternoon, I was
pleased to see the postman had delivered a CD. It is Safe At Anchor by Kate Wolf. I stumbled across Kate Wolf’s music late
one night just before Christmas on youtube, liked what I heard and ordered an
album on the spur of the moment. I didn’t know anything about her. On Wikipedia
I discovered that Kate Wolf January 27, 1942 – December 10, 1986 was an
American folk singer and songwriter. Though her career was relatively short,
she had a significant impact on the folk music scene, and many musicians
continue to cover her songs. Her best-known compositions include "Here in
California," "Love Still Remains," "Across the Great
Divide," "Unfinished Life," and "Give Yourself to
Love." Her songs have since been
recorded by artists such as Nanci Griffith and Emmylou Harris (whose recording
of "Love Still Remains" was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1999). Sadly
Kate died in 1986, at age 44, after a
long battle with leukemia. I listened to the album twice this afternoon and I
like it a lot. She has a beautiful voice and I love the playing of the other
musicians instruments such as piano, mandolin & accordion. It takes a while
to get really familiar with an album but after two listens I think my favourite
songs are Early Morning Melody and Two Way Waltz. If you scroll down you
can hear a song by Kate Wolf. It is a real shame that she died at such a
relatively young age before her fame had grown.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
It is now Thursday afternoon, and I’m Remembering Now the events of the past two nights in the beautiful city of Bath with Van Morrison , h...
-
The small and picturesque Wiltshire town of Bradford On Avon came alive on Sunday night with a visit from a music legend, namely Richard Tho...
-
At the moment I am listening to an album called Jackie by Jackie DeShannon. It is a really nice album. I only bought it because of the Van...
-
Friday: It was with a feeling of trepidation that I set off on Friday afternoon for my local record shop in Warminster. I had read some scat...
-
A friend phones me up occasionally and we have chats about music. One evening I mentioned to him about Annie Briggs and Vashti Bunyan and...
-
eden ahbez & Brian Wilson. Hello, it’s Sunday morning and the sun is shining again. I’m going to do some seed planting and garden ti...
-
It was in the hot summer of 1976 that I first heard the music of Patti Smith. I had moved back to Peterborough briefly and got a job in a ...
-
Two weeks ago I was privileged to see Richard Thompson play in Bradford On Avon, and last night an equally picturesque small Wiltshire town...
-
My job before I gave up on work was working in a book warehouse. The money was no good but one of the benefits was that I got to read...
-
I don't think I will be going out today. It looks like rain is on the way. I have been listening to a Van Morrison album which was ...


No comments:
Post a Comment