Thursday, March 07, 2019

Racing Cars (Jet Spotter Of The Track)

Magenta Devine & John Otway (Centre, back Row) at Aylesbury Friars.

I saw on the news yesterday that Magenta Devine has died aged 61. That’s very sad. In case you haven’t heard of her she was a popular television presenter in the 1980’s who presented youth programmes such as Network 7 and The Rough Guide To series. She was famous for always wearing her trademark sunglasses. I wasn’t a fan of hers, but I was a fan of John Otway and that’s how I first heard of Magenta Devine. I think it was 1977 that I bought the first album by Otway & Barrett which I love to this day. Magenta is name checked on the song Racing Cars (Jet Spotter Of The Track). Jet Spotter was a nick name of Otway’s friend and chauffeur Jeff Potter. ‘I'm over the line with Magenta Devine’. Also, in the song if you listen carefully you can hear a female voice but I don’t know if that is Magenta. I think the reason for the song was so that Wild Willy Barrett could run amok with his homemade guitar and make it sound like a racing car. 

Magenta was born in Hemel Hempstead and Otway In Aylesbury. In both the Hemel Gazette & Bucks Herald John Otway paid tribute to her by saying this-  "This is really sad. She was a few years younger than me and we all used to hang out at the Bell Hotel at the bottom of Market Square. "At that time in the 70's there were a few people that made Aylesbury a bit special - and she was one of them." He added: "She was a wonderfully enigmatic person who helped me an awful lot. We both moved to London around the same time after I'd had a hit record and she was doing her journalism work and we always used to bump into each other.".

Magenta Devine.



No comments:

Popular Posts