Saturday, February 13, 2021

Missa Luba



Saturday: It is still freezing; my wee pond has been frozen over for days. I hope my shubunkins are ok, I think they will be, they go right to the bottom of the pond when it freezes, it has happened before. I had some good news and some bad news today. The good news is that I get my first jab of COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday. Maybe, fingers crossed we will get out of this mess before too long. The bad news is that my team Peterborough United are not playing today. The pitch at Blackpool is frozen, so the game is postponed. Let’s hope Posh can hang on to 3rd place even without playing. Following my Jackie Leven post yesterday where I said I could not see a Van Morrison connection with Jackie, a fan contacted me and said that Jackie recorded a great live version of Van’s Slim Slow Slider. I found it on youtube and agree that it is excellent. I shared it to this blog page if you want to hear it. Also, I discovered that Jackie made an album called Jackie Leven Says which is obviously a Van’ism. Not only that, but Jackie also recorded with novelist Ian Rankin who we know is a huge Van fan. I might investigate this further.


At the moment on this cold afternoon, I am listening to a CD called Missa Luba by Les Troubadours Du Roi Bauduoin. It is a Congolese Mass which was recorded in 1958, but not released in the UK until 1964. It was composed by a Belgian Franciscan friar called Father Guido Haazen. I have owned the vinyl album for years but cannot play that because I haven’t got a turntable. I saw the CD on eBay for £2.99 postage free, so I bought it. I first became aware of this recording in the 1970s when one track called Sanctus was featured in a film directed by Lindsey Anderson called If. I thought it was wonderful. I wonder if this was the start of what we now call World Music. I hope the original musicians and choir were rewarded for their great music and not just exploited like a lot of African people living under European colonial rule.


I can’t think of anything else to say today. The weather is supposed to get a bit warmer tomorrow. That might mean rain, but if it doesn’t rain I might go for a walk. I have been cooped up too long. See you later.

No comments:

Popular Posts