Tuesday, March 09, 2021

A Period Of Transition by Van Morrison, Revisited


It has been a nice day today. I have been pottering around in my garden and then sitting in the kitchen, looking out of the back door and listening to A Period Of Transition by Van Morrison. I feel quite bad, because when I wrote my book Vanatic six years ago I gave this album a negative review. I only wrote about a page and did not say anything nice about it. I think the reason was because when it came out in 1977 I compared it unfavourably with albums such as Astral Weeks and Moondance and did not listen to it much after that. I should have listened to it again before writing my book because although I still do not rate it as one of his greatest albums, it has stood the test of time and compares very favourably with a lot of his subsequent albums. I thought I would try and make amends by revisiting my review and improve it if I can.


From 74 to 77 Van had a two- and half-year hiatus between Veedon Fleece and A Period Of Transition. This was the longest break between albums in his career and for most fans and critics who had waited for a new album it was a disappointment. There were only seven songs on the album, and it was short by today's standards, only 34 minutes. Veedon Fleece was ahead of its time with its pastoral Irish setting and folksy jazzy feel. The public and critics were not ready for it and so Van returned to the R & B soulful style of earlier years. This album was co-produced by Mac Rebennack aka Dr John, the Gris Gris Man or The Night Tripper. Apart from Dr John, Van had imported a great ensemble of American musicians. There was Reggie McBride on bass, Ollie Brown on drums, The late Marlo Henderson on guitar, Jerry Jumonville & Joel Peskin on sax, and Mark Underwood on trumpet. The excellent backing singers included three former members of The Ikettes, Robbie Montgomery, Carlena Williams & Paulette Parker.


The first track is You Gotta Make It Through The World which sounds like a jam to me, until the band get in the groove and then Van’s vocals join in. The insubstantial lyrics add to the feeling that it grew out of a jam session. It is quite funky though. It Fills You Up seems to be a celebration of music. Van has sung about music filling him up in other songs, such as Got To Go Back. It is all about the importance of adding some music to your day. I couldn't agree more. The Eternal Kansas City is the pivotal song on this album. In his book The Mystic’s Music the biographer Howard DeWitt believes that the song makes the listener feel as if in a church, because of the "mystical choir", featured at the beginning of the song: "Excuse me do you know the way to Kansas City?". "Then an almost jump arrangement makes The Eternal Kansas City an excellent rhythm and blues influenced song." I would agree with that. Van name-drops some of his favourite musicians Charlie Parker, Count Basie, Lester Young, Jimmy Witherspoon, Jay McShann, & Billie Holiday. Jay McShann was a resident of Kansas City and all the people Van mentioned played with his band as various times. That must explain the song’s title. Van was inspired to write this song while in the Cotswold's when he saw a place called Birdland near Boughton On The Water and it reminded him of Charlie Parker. That shows how the smallest thing can spark of the creative process.

Jay McShann of Kansas City.

Joyous Sound
reminds me slightly of How Sweet It Is by Junior Walker & The All Stars that I used to have on the Motown Chartbusters album. I love the sax playing on this short track which to my ears is the most radio friendly and commercial song on offer here. Flamingo's Fly is my favourite song on the album, I also like the version on the Philosophers Stone album and the version by Jackie De Shannon that Van produced for her. I wonder if Van had heard a jazz number by Gil Evans with the same title and used it for his song. Heavy Connection is soulful. Land Of 1,000 Dances is mentioned. That song was recorded by Wilson Pickett who Van name-checks in Real Real Gone, so he must admire him. There is another heavy connection to Real Real Gone when he sings, I can't stop this rainbow in my soul which is from Rainbow 80 by Gene Chandler. Cold Wind In August is the final track. Van sings about Shivers up and down my spine, I was standin' standin' in your garden’. This was a song theme that would return ten years later in his song In The Garden. Lyrics often reoccur in Van’s songs years after being first used.


Despite the lukewarm reception this album received when first released, Van was soon back on top. It was his stunning performance in the film The Last Waltz which proved how great he was. Van was shortly afterwards to produce his most commercial album since Moondance, which was Wavelength and then go on to follow his instinct and produce a non-stop series of great albums for the next three decades.

 

No comments:

Popular Posts