Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Van Morrison: My New World Crystal Ball.

At the moment I am listening to a Van Morrison bootleg CD called My New World Crystal Ball. It was recorded at the Lion’s Share in San Anselmo in 1971. It really is excellent. Disc 1 is the early set and begins with three acoustic songs, Sweet Thing, I Wanna Roo You and Tupelo Honey. Some of the words to Tupelo Honey are different to the official version. Then the band join in with Van singing part of Que Sera Sera which I remember Doris Day singing and this suddenly changes to Hound Dog and I don't think I have heard Van sing Rock n Roll like this. John Platania's guitar playing deserves a mention. This is followed by These Dreams Of You with some great sax by brother Jack Schroer.  Then another surprise, Van sings the Everly Brothers Let It Be Me and as usual Van effortlessly makes the song his own and is followed by Tennessee Waltz made famous by Patti Page. Moonshine Whiskey follows and I think Van's wife Janet is one of the backing singers. 


I wonder if that song might have been inspired by Janis Joplin. The wake after Janis’s funeral was held at The Lion’s Share. it is nine minutes of genius followed by Bob Dylan's classic Just Like A Woman. Nobody interprets Bob as well as Van. Two songs from the Street Choir album follow, I've Been Working and Domino. Jack Schroer's sax is quite incredible, and the two songs are thirteen minutes of jamming, scatting, improvising and being quite amazing. The final song on Disc 1 is Buena Sera Senorita which I think was originally recorded by Louis Prima in 1956. Then the MC asks everybody to leave by the back door as people are already queuing for the second show.
Disc 2 is much the same show, apart from three song changes. Street Choir replaces I Wanna Roo You. Van sings, ‘You know I just can't see you, now, In a-my, in a-my, in a-my New world crystal ball, You know I just can't free you, now, That's a-not my job at all'. Which gives this CD its title. It is just Van, acoustic guitar and the three girl backing singers. When That Evening Sun Goes Down replaces Tennessee Waltz, plus, there is the addition of Gloria. This recording was worthy of an official release because it captured Van at the height of his powers in the early part of his great career. I am glad I was reminded to listen to it again on this dull January afternoon.


2 comments:

Treve Walsh said...

Hi Pat, it's Treve here, how are you? I stumbled across your blog via the Mystic Avenue site. I'm so glad I did as I have been off FB for 2 years now, so am really pleased to be able to read your musings.
I have just watched a recording of Mastermind & only managed 4 correct myself, they were pretty obscure some of them!
Incidentally, I am listening to the new Christy Moore album, great track called Zozimus and Zimmerman, how about that?!

Pat said...

Hi Treve,

It's great to hear from you again. I had wondered what had happened to you. I really like that new Christy album. Johnnie Boy is my favourite song I think, but I like all of it. Hope I meet up with you at a gig sometime. Van is in Bristol soon, but I might give it a miss until all this Covid thing is over. I'm going to see the Belfast film soon. I'll let you know what I think.

All the best, Pat.

Popular Posts