![]() |
| In the Methuen Arms. |
Saturday, September 26, 2026
Sam Carter Sings Nic Jones, Pound Arts Centre Corsham 25/8/2026.
Two weeks ago I was privileged to see Richard Thompson
play in Bradford On Avon, and last night an equally picturesque small Wiltshire
town played host to another singer-songwriter and virtuoso guitar player,
namely Sam Carter who was performing at the Pound Arts Centre in Corsham.
Sam won the award for best newcomer at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in 2010, and
BBC folk show presenter Mike Harding said that Sam was one of the most
gifted acoustic guitarists of his generation. He has been compared to such luminaries as John
Martyn, Roy Harper, and Richard Thompson. This year Sam has taken time out from
promoting his own songs to pay tribute to and spread the word about one of his
own heroes of acoustic guitar and trad folk songs Nic Jones. Back in late
June I reviewed Sam’s album ‘Sam Carter Sings Nic Jones, Live At Celtic
Connections’, and when I saw Sam was playing in Corsham I knew I had to go
and hear these great songs performed live. My friend Cara called for me at 5.30 and less than 30
minutes later we arrived in Corsham which is a beautiful little town full of
period listed buildings where even peacocks wander the streets. Queen Camilla
once lived here before her divorce and move to nearby Lacock. Her home
Middlewick House was sold to Nick Mason of Pink Floyd fame who still lives
there. Another music link to the area is Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studio in
the nearby village of Box.
Anyway, we met our friends Jane and John and spent a
very pleasant hour or so in the courtyard of the Methuen Arms which is a
splendid pub/restaurant/hotel on the High Street. Eventually time was getting on,
and so we made our way to the Pound Arts Centre. This is a wonderful asset
to the cultural life of the town and is housed in a restored Victorian school. The small auditorium is perfect for an evening of great folk
music. Sam came on stage shortly after 7.30 and treated the audience to a great
evening of Nic Jones songs beginning with Barrack Street from the classic
Penguin Eggs album. This was followed by Master Kilby from Game
Set Match, an album I particularly cherish because Nic signed my copy for
me when I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2013. Another song from that album
performed brilliantly by Sam was Clyde Water. In his career Nic mainly
sang traditional songs which he put his own arrangements to, as well as songs
written by the likes of Harry Robertson or Paul Metsers. I think
that is why I like Ruins By The Shore so much as sung by Sam because it
was Nic himself who wrote the lyrics, and I think the words are quite powerful
and prophetic. Seven Gypsies is a song with a driving rhythm where Sam
proves he is well capable of replicating Nic’s astonishing ability. I have
always felt sorry for those gypsies though, they didn’t deserve to be hanged. Other
great songs from the evening included Courting Is A Pleasure, Ploughman Lads,
Billy Don’t You Weep For Me, Annan Water, (In lots of Nic’s songs the hero
or heroine meets a watery end!), Farewell To The Gold, and Oh Dear,
Rue The Day. There may have been others that I have forgotten. Sam saved
the best for last though with the fabulous Canadee-I-O and Harry
Robertson’s two great whaling songs The Humpback Whale and The Little
Pot Stove. What a wonderful evening it had been. Thank you to Pound Arts
for being a great venue and thank you especially Sam Carter for playing
so brilliantly and bringing the great music of Nic Jones to new
audiences. There are still a few dates left on Sam's tour, so I urge you to get a ticket if you can. PS, Thank you John Prideaux for the photo of Sam..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
It is now Thursday afternoon, and I’m Remembering Now the events of the past two nights in the beautiful city of Bath with Van Morrison , h...
-
At the moment I am listening to an album called Jackie by Jackie DeShannon. It is a really nice album. I only bought it because of the Van...
-
The small and picturesque Wiltshire town of Bradford On Avon came alive on Sunday night with a visit from a music legend, namely Richard Tho...
-
Friday: It was with a feeling of trepidation that I set off on Friday afternoon for my local record shop in Warminster. I had read some scat...
-
It was in the hot summer of 1976 that I first heard the music of Patti Smith. I had moved back to Peterborough briefly and got a job in a ...
-
A friend phones me up occasionally and we have chats about music. One evening I mentioned to him about Annie Briggs and Vashti Bunyan and...
-
It has rained here the last two days. The fifth heatwave of the summer appears to be over. Wessex Water which is our local water company bro...
-
eden ahbez & Brian Wilson. Hello, it’s Sunday morning and the sun is shining again. I’m going to do some seed planting and garde...
-
If you have read my blog page for a while you probably know that I am a big fan of The Unthanks . Recently I saw their 2009 album Here’s The...


No comments:
Post a Comment