Friday, December 14, 2018

Pretty Things Final Bow.


I wouldn’t claim to be a huge fan of The Pretty Things although I remember their few hit songs in the 60’s and when I bought my ticket for this concert a few months ago I also got their legendary album S.F.Sorrow intending to get really acquainted with it as it came out exactly 50 years ago and I knew it would be a large part of the night’s performance. I think the main reason I bought my ticket was that Van Morrison was to be a special guest and I thought it would be fun to see Van play with a different band. Also, Bill Nighy was supposed to be the M.C. for the evening. As it turned out Bill had filming commitments and couldn’t attend. His place was taken by Arthur Brown. I don’t think I have seen Arthur Brown since Peterborough Cloud 9 club in 1970. The last time I went to the O2 in London I swore I would never go back because it was too big and soulless, but tonight’s concert was in a smaller venue inside the dome called Indigo which I hoped would be a lot better.

In the queue outside I spotted Ivan from Northern Ireland  who I hadn’t seen since a concert at the RAH a few years ago. He told me that Alan was in the bar opposite, so I went in the Slug & Lettuce where I found Alan & Simon & Sandra. Later on in the venue I met Brendan from Dublin and Pamela & Chris whose faces I recognised from previous Van gigs in London. I was pleased that I met a few Van fans. I was glad that I had a seat as well because it turned out to be a long evening of three sets. The first set was the present Pretty Things line-up and I really enjoyed it because I think I knew several of the songs. I particularly liked the playing of Dick Taylor who was actually an original member of the Rolling Stones before he formed the Pretty Things with vocalist Phil May. This was Set One- Honey I Need, Don't Bring Me Down, Buzz the Jerk, Mama Keep Your Big Mouth Shut, Get the Picture?, The Same Sun, Alexander, Defecting Grey, Big Boss Man, Midnight To Six Man, Mr Evasion.

In Set Two they were joined by Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd fame on guitar. This set also had previous members of the band to perform tracks from S.F. Sorrow.  This was Set 2, Scene One, S.F. Sorrow Is Born, She Says Good Morning, Baron Saturday, Trust, I See You, Cries From the Midnight Circus. I was getting tired and impatient by the end of that set although most of the audience were loving it, so I shouldn’t complain. Finally, during the third set they were joined by Van Morrison for three songs. This was the highlight of the evening for me and rarely has Baby Please Don’t Go sounded so good. Seeing Van play live with a top British R&B band from the 60’s gives you some idea of what it must have been like to see Van’s band Them all those years ago. This was Set Three, I Can't Be Satisfied, Come On in My Kitchen, Baby, Please Don't Go, I Can Tell, You Can't Judge a Book by the Cover, Come See Me, Mona, Pretty Thing, Who Do You Love, L.S.D.

Towards the end of that set I went downstairs to see if I could find any of my friends. There seemed to be about eight people on stage by now including two drummers. There was a  long drum solo that I really didn’t need by now. After that the band came back for an encore. I enjoyed Rosalyn but then decided I’d had enough and they were closing the bar so I left. That turned out to be a big mistake because later in the pub where I met Alan for a last drink, he told me that Van returned to sing Road Runner with the band & Dave Gilmour. Encore, Rosalyn, Road Runner, Loneliest Person.
When the pub closed I wandered off to find my hotel on some desolate corner of the Greenwich peninsula and I was pleased that I made the effort to go and see The Pretty Things take their final bow.
                                                                THE END.

No comments:

Popular Posts