I had to go to Bath
again today, but the weather was a far cry from last Thursday. The temperature
had dropped, one minute it would be sunny and the next minute it would be
hailstones. After I had completed the business which brought me to Bath I went for a walk
around town. The streets were quite deserted because of the weather. There were
no buskers to stop and listen to. It wasn’t a complete waste of time though. In
the Julian House shop in Walcot
Street I found a nice copy of Memoirs Of
A Beatnik by Diane Di Prima. I
like anything ‘Beat’ but I hadn’t
seen this book before. It is a novel written in 1969 but this edition was
published in 2002. It is a fictionalised erotic account of her own life. I
first became aware of Diane through her reading a couple of her poems at The Last Waltz concert with The Band. You can find a video below of
that if you want.
Also, in the Dorothy House shop I found a signed hardback
copy of Frazzled by Ruby Wax. It is in a mint condition, so I was well pleased with that. Both of those books will go in my shop
in the next few days. After that I headed for the station because I couldn’t
think of anything else to do. I started to read my Beatnik book on the way
home. Diane certainly had an interesting life. I went for a couple of drinks
and a game of pool this evening and that was the end of rainy Tuesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
It is now Thursday afternoon, and I’m Remembering Now the events of the past two nights in the beautiful city of Bath with Van Morrison , h...
-
The small and picturesque Wiltshire town of Bradford On Avon came alive on Sunday night with a visit from a music legend, namely Richard Tho...
-
At the moment I am listening to an album called Jackie by Jackie DeShannon. It is a really nice album. I only bought it because of the Van...
-
Friday: It was with a feeling of trepidation that I set off on Friday afternoon for my local record shop in Warminster. I had read some scat...
-
It was in the hot summer of 1976 that I first heard the music of Patti Smith. I had moved back to Peterborough briefly and got a job in a ...
-
A friend phones me up occasionally and we have chats about music. One evening I mentioned to him about Annie Briggs and Vashti Bunyan and...
-
eden ahbez & Brian Wilson. Hello, it’s Sunday morning and the sun is shining again. I’m going to do some seed planting and garden ti...
-
Two weeks ago I was privileged to see Richard Thompson play in Bradford On Avon, and last night an equally picturesque small Wiltshire town...
-
My job before I gave up on work was working in a book warehouse. The money was no good but one of the benefits was that I got to read...


No comments:
Post a Comment