It has rained here the last two days. The fifth heatwave of
the summer appears to be over. Wessex Water which is our local water company
brought in a hosepipe ban a few days ago, so I will be using my watering can
for the foreseeable future for the evening ritual of watering the garden. The
sparrows seem to have settled in nicely in the tree at the end of the garden. I
put some bird food out for them every day and then sit in my kitchen watching
them descending and ascending. The big event last week was the partial eclipse
of the sun. On the news they were telling everyone not to look at the sun
directly. We were advised to get special glasses. I must have watched hundreds
of glorious evening sunsets over the years without the need for glasses, so I
still can’t fully understand why you can’t watch an eclipse in the evening. Anyway, I wasn’t going to risk it, but you couldn’t buy the glasses around here
in any shop. I had to settle for fetching an aluminium colander from the
kitchen and holding it up to the sun and watch the reflection on my white
garden wall. I saw 61 mini partial eclipses which was a bit underwhelming. It
did go quite dark, the temperature dropped slightly and a breeze began. Birds
flew by as if it was time to roost, but it didn’t seem like a major memorable experience. The following evening something happened which had a much
bigger impact locally. We had a big fire on the hillside near the White Horse.
It took several teams of firefighters quite a few hours to get it under control.
Luckily it didn’t reach the White Horse itself, although it was heading in that
direction. In the light of day you could
see the whole hillside is blackened. It is mainly grassland up there so it
should grow back quite quickly with some rain. Compared to what people in
Spain, France, Greece and other countries have suffered this summer it is
nothing. Even elsewhere in Britain people have had worse fires with houses burnt
to the ground. Climate change is the cause of it and is the major problem
facing the world today. It can only be solved globally by all the countries
working together. Some of the leaders of major countries are so stupid they
deny it is happening and would rather start wars they don’t know how to finish.
It is very frustrating, so before I start a political rant I’m going back to
watching my sparrows. I didn’t think the photo of my Mirabilis Jalapa in my
last gardening post was very good so I have taken another one. Cheers.
Thursday, August 20, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
It is now Thursday afternoon, and I’m Remembering Now the events of the past two nights in the beautiful city of Bath with Van Morrison , h...
-
The small and picturesque Wiltshire town of Bradford On Avon came alive on Sunday night with a visit from a music legend, namely Richard Tho...
-
At the moment I am listening to an album called Jackie by Jackie DeShannon. It is a really nice album. I only bought it because of the Van...
-
Friday: It was with a feeling of trepidation that I set off on Friday afternoon for my local record shop in Warminster. I had read some scat...
-
It was in the hot summer of 1976 that I first heard the music of Patti Smith. I had moved back to Peterborough briefly and got a job in a ...
-
A friend phones me up occasionally and we have chats about music. One evening I mentioned to him about Annie Briggs and Vashti Bunyan and...
-
eden ahbez & Brian Wilson. Hello, it’s Sunday morning and the sun is shining again. I’m going to do some seed planting and garden ti...
-
Two weeks ago I was privileged to see Richard Thompson play in Bradford On Avon, and last night an equally picturesque small Wiltshire town...
-
My job before I gave up on work was working in a book warehouse. The money was no good but one of the benefits was that I got to read...




No comments:
Post a Comment