Friday, January 29, 2021

A Walk In The Woods



I had quite a good day today. When I got up it was quite dull and showery and I thought, “Here we go again, another boring day trapped indoors”. Then I decided to pull myself together. “Bad weather is no excuse for not being busy, there is plenty to do indoors. This place could do with a good Spring cleaning, cleanliness is next to godliness, as they say”. I am always complaining about what is wrong with the world. The first step to sorting the world out is to get your own house in order. If everyone in the world sorted out their own house, then there would be no problems. I did some laundry and tidied up the kitchen a bit. Then the sun came out. I had a quick look at the BBC weather forecast and saw there was only a 12% chance of rain. “I do believe I’ll go walking in the woods”, I said to myself. “There will be plenty of time for cleaning on other days”.


I put on my boots, my jacket, and my hat and set off. I went straight up Alfred Street, across the main road and up through Newtown. I did not fancy the uphill slog to the White Horse, so turned right at the equestrian centre and headed along the lane. It was very muddy at first, but by keeping to the edge of the lane I managed to get past the boggy bits. There are some nice woods along there and I ventured in among the trees. I was hoping to see some snowdrops or other signs of Spring but didn’t see any. The wood is beautiful though. Words from The Strawbs album From The Witchwood came into my head.

 'The trees were bare, but spring was near. To conjure up its endless strings of green magic handkerchiefs. Could you only see what I've seen, You would surely know what I mean. I think I must have caught a glimpse of heaven'.


I have lived in this area for 33 years and during this lock down I have discovered places that I did not even know existed. It was a nice walk. I emerged on the main road at Chalford and walked back home through town. I was glad I made the effort to get some fresh air and exercise and commune with nature. The weather is going to change for the worse tomorrow, so I don’t know when I will get out again.


Winter Trees.

No comments:

Popular Posts