Saturday, January 30, 2021

Tom Waits' Jukebox.



Saturday has been a cold, windy and rainy day. Still, I should not complain, we are still in January. Spring will arrive, and the lambs will be gamboling in the fields before long. They cannot ban that, can they. I had to go out because I was short of milk, bread, tea & coffee. I went to Lidl hoping it would be quiet, but it was busy. It felt quite warm in there as well. You would think in a pandemic they would lower the heating a bit. I am sure the virus likes a warm atmosphere. Anyway, I got what I needed and scarpered as fast as I could. It felt good to get back in the fresh cold air. My team Peterborough United lost 2-0 today which was disappointing, but they are still 4th in the table. At the end of the day, it isn’t all that important. I sat in the kitchen listening to a CD my brother Paul gave me a couple of years ago called Tom Waits Jukebox. It is a compilation album of music that Tom Waits might have liked. There are some great tracks on it by the likes of Captain Beefheart, Howling Wolf, (I can definitely see similarities to Tom there), Southside Johnny, Jesca Hoop who I think looked after Tom’s kids at one time. There is even Frank Sinatra singing ‘One For My Baby, And One More For The Road’. It is great stuff. There are quite a few people I have not heard of before, but all interesting. My favourite track of all is a recording from 1958 of Jack Kerouac reciting a prosie type poem called MacDougal Street Blues. It is brilliant.

Me being reflective!

I did half an hour of Qigong which I am enjoying, and I do find it energising. I do not seem to need my afternoon naps like I used to, and I feel more motivated to do things. The Qi in Qigong is pronounced Chi, and Qigong means ‘Life energy’. Wikipedia says,
 ‘Qigong is a millennia-old system of coordinated body-posture and movement, breathing, and meditation used for the purposes of health and spirituality. With roots in Chinese medicine, philosophy, and martial arts, qigong is traditionally viewed by the Chinese and throughout Asia as a practice to cultivate and balance qi. Qigong practice typically involves moving meditation, coordinating slow-flowing movement, deep rhythmic breathing, and a calm meditative state of mind. People practice qigong throughout China and worldwide for recreation, exercise, relaxation, preventive medicine, self-healing, alternative medicine, meditation, and self-cultivation. 

It also said that it is used in martial arts training, but I am not interested in that bit. I will just show you another photo from my walk yesterday because I took loads of them and it is a pity to waste them. It is the last day of January tomorrow, so I will see you then hopefully.

The Woods In Winter.


 

2 comments:

Glasshouse Bill said...

Greetings from Dorchester Pat! Still enjoying your online diary.. I was wondering if you can monitor how many readers you have? Is it like talking in to the void?
I was swimming in a lake of alcohol over Christmas, but knocked it on the head for three weeks in January.. until this weekend when m' wife and I rediscovered red and white wine and bottled beer!
Tom Waits for no man (sorry .. what they call a Dad joke). And the piano has been drinking.. not me.
Kind regards Bill

Pat said...

Hi Bill,

Yes, I can tell how many visitors I have, but it doesn't tell me who they are. This is my stats. All time 542,254. Today 63, Yesterday 108, This month 3521, Last month 2323.

I have had 1.200 more visitors this month than last month. I think that might be because I have made the effort to write something every day. Also it might be due to lock-down. Maybe people have more time on their hands.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.
All the best,
Pat.

Popular Posts