Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The Beauty Of Trees.


After the nice weather of the past two days, it is back to being a wild and windy rainy day today. It is no day for being abroad on the Queen’s highway, that is for sure. I am going to stay by the fire, listen to my new music and try and finish one of the books that I have started. I will tell you all about that in the next few days. Firstly though, I want to tell you about my walk on Monday afternoon, because I took some nice photos, and it would be a shame to waste them. 
It was a beautiful afternoon without a cloud in the sky as I set off up Alfred Street, then headed straight up Newtown. When I reached the open countryside, hang-gliders could be seen in the distance floating above the White Horse, but I wanted a different route for a change, and I knew there would be dozens of people at the White Horse. I wanted to be far from the madding crowd. 


Once I passed the Equestrian Centre, instead of turning left I headed straight up a steep path which I had been curious about for a while. I am glad I made the effort because although it was very strenuous you were rewarded with a fantastic panoramic view from the top of the hill. Also, on each side of the steep incline there were some amazing trees. Because the branches were still bare of leaves, some of them had a kind of wraith-like form, like tree spirits or dryads with long thin arms extended upwards. Others stood in groups looking towards the sun beaming down its energy. Recently, I have become more aware of the beauty of trees. You can feel that they have their own consciousness, and they are very photogenic.


 It is a crime to cut down ancient woodland, which is happening all the time, not only in places like Brazil and Indonesia, but right here in Britain with the new HS2 rail-link they are building in the name of so-called progress. Save The Ancient Woodland! is my motto. I will say no more about that for now or this will become a rant. It felt great to survey the scene from up there on the brow of the hill. I could see Westbury down below and thought how lucky we are to live close to such nice countryside. I decided to head along the top of the ridge by the edge of Salisbury Plain. I passed the quarry which hopefully is slowly being reclaimed by nature, and I heeded the warnings to stay out of the army firing range.


 Eventually I reached a footpath that led back down the hill and through the woods. I met a few other walkers along the way. They are always very friendly and say hello. It seems to be the walkers code to greet each other. People do not say hello to strangers in town streets, do they. I emerged from the woods at the waterworks pumping station which I recognised from previous walks and then headed towards the main road and back to boring civilisation. I had only been out for about two hours but had thoroughly enjoyed the exercise and being in the prescence of nature. The next time we have a sunny day I will take some water and food and venture even further afield.

The Trackless Woods.

No comments:

Popular Posts