![]() |
| Photo 1835 |
Thursday, May 28, 2026
At The Sign of The Angel.
A friend of mine kindly gave me a gift voucher for my
last birthday, so yesterday I treated my niece Lee to lunch at The Sign Of The
Angel in Lacock which is only a twenty-minute drive from here. We chose this
week because we always have an annual meet-up to remember my brother Paul’s
birthday who would have turned 70 tomorrow. Lacock is a wonderful unspoiled
picturesque village to visit. It is often used as a location in film and
television dramas such as Pride and Prejudice, Cranford, two Harry Potter films, Fantastic Beasts,
Downton Abbey, Wolf Hall, Beauty and the Beast, and many others. Queen Camilla has a house here. When she was divorced from Andrew Parker Bowles she bought Rey Mill House just outside Lacock. She
retained the house after marrying King Charles and still frequently uses it as
a retreat from London. I have read that Charles later bought the neighbouring
property as well to ensure her privacy.
Lacock was also the home of Henry Fox
Talbot who was the most famous British pioneer of photography in the Victorian
era. He lived at Lacock Abbey. In 1835 Fox Talbot took a photograph of a window
in the Abbey which is the oldest existing photograph taken with a camera (See
picture). The Fox Talbots owned almost the entire village. In 1916 Henry Fox
Talbot's son Charles bequeathed the Lacock estate to his niece Matilda. The
estate comprising of 284 acres, the Abbey and the village – was given to the
National Trust in 1944 by Matilda Talbot which is why it remains in such a
remarkably preserved condition. Lacock has three public houses and a number of
shops in its High Street including a grocery store, a bakery, gift shops and a
National Trust shop. The Sign Of The Angel where me and Lee dined is a 15th
century listed building, very olde worlde, like stepping back in time to the
Tudor period.
When we arrived, the temperature was already 30C and I was
concerned that it would be too hot. However, it turned out to be very pleasant indeed
because they have a very nice shady garden which leads down to a stream. Lee spotted
a most amazing blue-winged dragonfly flitting about by the stream. The waitress
who had a very pleasant manner seated us at a table for two in the shade of a
tree. The food was delicious. I opted for the spring vegetable orzo pasta, and
Lee went for the Wye Valley asparagus and old Winchester cheese tart. I enjoyed a glass of very dry, delicate light
white wine called Whitehall Bacchus which is produced right here in Lacock.
Poor Lee had to settle for iced Spring water because she was driving. We passed
quite an idyllic hour or so sitting out there and chatting and remembering Paul. We did intend to have a stroll around the village, but when we left
the shade of the garden and felt the heat outside I couldn’t face walking about,
so we decided to get in Lee’s air-conditioned car and head home. Thank you Lee
for driving, and thanks again to my friend for making it all possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
It is now Thursday afternoon, and I’m Remembering Now the events of the past two nights in the beautiful city of Bath with Van Morrison , h...
-
The small and picturesque Wiltshire town of Bradford On Avon came alive on Sunday night with a visit from a music legend, namely Richard Tho...
-
At the moment I am listening to an album called Jackie by Jackie DeShannon. It is a really nice album. I only bought it because of the Van...
-
Friday: It was with a feeling of trepidation that I set off on Friday afternoon for my local record shop in Warminster. I had read some scat...
-
It was in the hot summer of 1976 that I first heard the music of Patti Smith. I had moved back to Peterborough briefly and got a job in a ...
-
A friend phones me up occasionally and we have chats about music. One evening I mentioned to him about Annie Briggs and Vashti Bunyan and...
-
It has rained here the last two days. The fifth heatwave of the summer appears to be over. Wessex Water which is our local water company bro...
-
My job before I gave up on work was working in a book warehouse. The money was no good but one of the benefits was that I got to read...
-
eden ahbez & Brian Wilson. Hello, it’s Sunday morning and the sun is shining again. I’m going to do some seed planting and garden ti...



No comments:
Post a Comment