Monday, May 25, 2026
In The Garden: Part 4.
Phew, wot a scorcher! It has been unseasonably hot here for
the past few days and today has been the hottest day of all. It is 30 degrees
centigrade at the moment which is 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Celtic types like me
don’t like it that hot. I have just come indoors to the cool of my living room.
I have enjoyed sitting outside in the mornings, and especially in the cool of
the evening. I love the ritual of watering the garden in the evenings, giving
the plants a good soaking. Last night I was out there until it was nearly dark.
It is very mindful looking upwards at the half-moon and the blue sky with just
wisps of cloud and listening to a blackbird singing from the top of a neighbour’s
tree. From about 9.00pm I was observing pairs of swifts darting about high up performing
high speed aerial manoeuvres. For the last few weeks I have been following an
ongoing dispute between a pair of blackbirds and a pair of wood pigeons who are
nesting in the same tree. The blackbirds seem to be the aggressors. I think
they see the wood pigeon’s large size and slow movements as a threat.
Despite the heat I have managed to get a few jobs done. I
gave my pond it’s annual clean. That involved scooping out all the silt that accumulates
at the bottom of the pond. I’m sure my two shubunkins appreciate their little
pooliverse being a lot tidier. I think the bucketful of organic pond matter I
gathered will make good fertiliser for my plants. Before the heat kicked in I
also managed to paint the outside of my kitchen, and the tall wall with
brilliant white masonry paint. That wall had very flaky paint ,and dirty with
pollution. There is still a lot to do. I need to paint the window frames and my
back door when it cools down a bit. My little garden is looking better by the day. The
sunflowers are growing rapidly against the wall. They should look great when
they flower. I’m pleased to see some marigolds from last year have returned and
are in flower now. The clematis that I had to cut right back when I mended the
fence is already shooting new stems skywards, so that is good. Down around the
pond buttercups seem to have taken over. I used to dig out buttercups, but It’s
a lot of hassle, so I think I’ll just leave them to get on with it. I’ll simply call the area down
by the pond ‘The wild area’. My hanging baskets are starting to look good, but
they won’t reach their best for a while yet. I know my little garden isn’t
quite the Chelsea Flower Show, but I like pottering around in it. I’ll do
another garden report before too long. Cheers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
It is now Thursday afternoon, and I’m Remembering Now the events of the past two nights in the beautiful city of Bath with Van Morrison , h...
-
The small and picturesque Wiltshire town of Bradford On Avon came alive on Sunday night with a visit from a music legend, namely Richard Tho...
-
At the moment I am listening to an album called Jackie by Jackie DeShannon. It is a really nice album. I only bought it because of the Van...
-
Friday: It was with a feeling of trepidation that I set off on Friday afternoon for my local record shop in Warminster. I had read some scat...
-
It was in the hot summer of 1976 that I first heard the music of Patti Smith. I had moved back to Peterborough briefly and got a job in a ...
-
A friend phones me up occasionally and we have chats about music. One evening I mentioned to him about Annie Briggs and Vashti Bunyan and...
-
It has rained here the last two days. The fifth heatwave of the summer appears to be over. Wessex Water which is our local water company bro...
-
My job before I gave up on work was working in a book warehouse. The money was no good but one of the benefits was that I got to read...
-
eden ahbez & Brian Wilson. Hello, it’s Sunday morning and the sun is shining again. I’m going to do some seed planting and garden ti...



No comments:
Post a Comment