Richard Thompson & Holly Carter. Bradford On Avon, 13/9/2026.
The small and picturesque Wiltshire town of Bradford On Avon
came alive on Sunday night with a visit from a music legend, namely Richard
Thompson who in the 60s with his friends in the band Fairport Convention
invented the genre known as English folk rock. Richard and his wife Zara
Phillips were appearing at the Wiltshire Music Centre which is a modern purpose-built
little venue with perfect acoustics. The support act was a singer-songwriter
guitar player called Holly Carter who was accompanied by another
guitarist/bass player called Joe Wilkins. I wasn’t aware of Holly previously,
but she played an excellent set of songs, many of which had a powerful
political message.
Holly & Joe.
I particularly enjoyed a song about Stetson Kennedy
who was an American author and human rights activist. He was a folklore
collector during the first half of the 20th century and is remembered for
having infiltrated the Ku Klux Klan in the 1940s, exposing its secrets to
authorities and the outside world. I
hadn’t heard of him before, so some of Holly’s songs were quite educational for
me. Holly also sang a song My Hands Are Tied which was about Frank
Little an American labour leader who was brutally murdered in Butte Montana
in 1917, and nobody was held responsible for his death. I also enjoyed Holly’s
cover of Song For Woody from Bob Dylan’s first album. One of the catchiest
songs in Holly’s short but sweet set was What You See, a song inspired
by a photographer called Tish Murtha. I shall certainly look out for
more music by Holly Carter in the future.
Richard & Zara.
After the interval it was time for the main man Richard
Thompson. I have seen Richard many times in the past and he certainly didn’t
disappoint this appreciative Wiltshire audience. I didn’t write down a setlist,
but from memory he performed Misunderstood, Genesis Hall from the Unhalfbricking
album, Turning Of The Tide, Pharaoh, Johnnies Away On The Rolling Sea, (The
audience sang along with that one) Walking On The Wire, If I Could Live My
Life Again, Walking The Long Miles Home, Vincent Black Lightning 1952.
Richard introduced his wife Zara Phillips about halfway through the show and
they harmonised beautifully on such songs as Cocaine Walking, Booze Talking
and Pipe Dream from the new album Hippies Thugs & Heroes, the fabulous Withered And Died
and I Wanna See The Bright Lights Tonight, The Rattle Within, If You Don’t
Want Me, I’ll dry my TearsAnd Move On, and Wall Of Death.
There were a couple of other songs, but I can’t remember what they were now.
New Album.
Richard and Zara left the stage, and he returned alone for an encore. I was
hoping for Beeswing, but someone in the audience shouted out a request
for Jimmy Shand which he performed. I don’t like this song very much,
but he told a funny story about the accordion player Jimmy Shand. When he was
staying in a hotel one time, Jimmy asked at breakfast for some honey and was
given a tiny sachet of honey. Jimmy said sarcastically, “Oh, I see that you
keep a bee”. The show finished about 10.15 and we were soon home, tired but
happy after a most enjoyable evening. Congratulations to Wiltshire Music Centre
for booking such a great artist as RT. I hope I attend many more concerts at
this great little venue.
No comments:
Post a Comment