Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Quite A Nice Day.


It was a nice sunny dry October day, so I thought I should get out and about. I caught the bus over to Warminster to meet a friend. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my bus pass which was a bit annoying because it cost me a fiver to travel both ways. Anyway, I put that disappointment behind me. I was a bit early when I arrived, and I passed the time browsing in the music shop which we are very lucky to have in this day and age. I didn’t know what to buy but I felt obliged to buy something as I had been in there about half an hour. I wanted something by somebody new that I hadn’t heard before. I ummed and aahed for ages and finally bought a CD by Joanna Newsom called Divers. I have heard great reports of her and she has been described as psychedelic folk which I like the sound of. I liked the picture of her on the back of the cd which was the deciding factor in buying it as well. I haven’t played it yet, but I’ll write a review when I have time and tell you all about it.

I had spent so much time in the shop that I was now late. I scurried across the road to Spoons where my friend was waiting. She was annoyed at me for being late, but soon cheered up when I bought a bottle of wine. We sat out the back and enjoyed the autumn sunshine. The time flew by and two large glasses of chardonnay later we were back at the bus stop. After she departed, I still had 16 minutes to wait for my bus, so I went in the Blue Cross charity shop. I found a nice first edition SIGNED! book called The White Book by Han Kang. I must admit that I had never heard of her before, but I had a feeling it was a bit special, so I bought it. When I got home I looked her up in Wikipedia and was pleased to find that she is a Korean writer with a high literary reputation who has won the Booker International prize in recent years. That was a good find. Book hunting is like gold mining. I’ll put the book in my bookshop in the next few days. I might even read it if I have time. Also, when I looked at my emails, I found I had sold two books which was great. That paid for my bus fare, the wine and my cd. What goes around, comes around as they say. I’ll post those books in the morning. After that I had a nice nap. Then I went to the pub for an hour. This evening I listened to the BBC Folk Awards show on the radio. Then I thought I’d write a little blog, which is this. All things considered it had been quite a nice day.
Joanna Newsom.



No comments:

Popular Posts