Sunday, November 14, 2021

The Giro Playboy & The Seventh Veil.


Sunday was a bleak, grey damp day. I didn't go outside, apart from topping up my pond and feeding my shubunkins. I  noticed that the three of them have grown quite a lot since the fourth one died earlier in the year. I wish they would breed, that would be something to write about. I actually quite like days such as this because I didn’t spend any money. Once you go out you start spending. I’d rather wait until there is something worth going out for. I listened to the
Iggy Pop show on BBC6 Music and Guy Garvey’s Finest Hour. You hear some great music on this station. To pass the time I also started reading a book called The Giro Playboy by Michael Smith. My brother Paul gave it to me a couple of years ago, and he said it was a great read. I had forgotten about it until yesterday. Faber who published it said it was a Beat classic in the making, and one reviewer said it was like Rimbaud on the dole.


I have only read about sixty pages so far, but I think it is very funny in a sad meaningless way. It is an account of the empty existence of a lonely drifter living in bedsits in Brighton and London. I’ll tell you more about it later when I have read a bit more. It made me think that I could do the same thing because my life is just as uneventful as his. I don’t have to wait until I go to a gig or buy an album to have something to write about. I could just write about doing next to nothing, which I suppose I am doing right now.  In the evening I watched an interesting documentary about the making of  Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys on Sky Arts. I think I had seen it before, but still enjoyed it. Even later I watched a black and white film from 1945 called The Seventh Veil starring Ann Todd and James Mason. It kept my attention and had some nice classical piano music in it, but I don't think it was Ann Todd playing it.


This morning I have to get dressed and venture out to get some provisions because I have eaten everything in the fridge. I might have a mooch around the charity shops as well. Anyway, I can’t think of anything else to tell you about now. If anything remotely interesting happens later I'll tell you about it tomorrow. 

No comments:

Popular Posts