Thursday, March 28, 2019

A Sunny Afternoon In Bath.

Royal Crescent, Bath.

I had to go to Bath again today. At Westbury station there were lots of trainspotters on the platform with cameras at the ready. When I asked why they were there I was informed that the royal train was due with The Queen on board. She was on her way to Castle Cary & Bruton for a visit. I didn’t hang about for the chance of a glimpse of Her Majesty and got on the 12.02 to Bath. She had certainly chosen a nice day for it; the weather was glorious.
After I had completed my business in Bath it seemed a shame to go straight home as it was such a nice day. I went for a walk up to the Royal Crescent. It was nice with dozens of tourists out and about, sitting on the grass and enjoying the sunshine. 
The Circus Bath.

Then I strolled down into town via The Circus, ‘the architecture I'm taking in with my mind, So fine’. In case you don’t know, The Circus is a historic street of large townhouses forming a circle with three entrances. Designed by the prominent architect John Wood, the Elder, it was begun in 1754, completed in 1768, and is regarded as a pre-eminent example of Georgian architecture. The name comes from the Latin 'circus', which means a ring, oval or circle. So there!
Then I ambled down Milsom St after a quick look in the Oxfam shop where I bought a copy of Good Vibrations, My Life As A Beach Boy by Mike Love. I don’t really like Mike Love but it’s only fair play to hear his side of things.

 I felt a bit thirsty, so I went for a drink in The Salamander which is a nice quiet little pub tucked away just off Queens Square. It was one of the first pubs I discovered when I moved to this area 42 years ago. While I was enjoying my pint of Thatcher’s Gold I remembered something I had been meaning to do. On leaving the pub I headed for the library.
The Salamander.

In the library I asked the assistant if they had a book called Not Fade Away, Pop Music At Bath Pavilion 1963-1969. They Did! brilliant, because I had been trying to get hold of a copy for ages. A friend of mine Simon has been helping to compile a list of all the concerts Van Morrison has played in his career. They wouldn’t let me take the book home because I don’t live in Bath but I was allowed to study it and I can confirm that Van played in Bath with his group Them twice in 1965. I left the library feeling quite pleased with myself, “Good sleuthing Pat”. Then I made my way back to the station.





3 comments:

Alfie joslin said...

I really want this book I’m looking all over for it so if you could find one for sale I would appreciate it

Pat said...

Alfie,

I will keep an eye out and if I come across a copy I'll let you know.

Cheers, Pat.

Alfie joslin said...

Great thanks my grandad really wants one great blog as well

Popular Posts