Monday, March 25, 2019

Scott Walker.


Monday morning: I woke up today to the sad news that Scott Walker has passed away aged 76. I can’t claim to be a big Scott Walker fan because I haven’t got any of his albums and never seen him perform apart from on television. I have always respected him though for turning his back on the trappings of fame and show-business and just creating his avant-garde art regardless of whether it was fashionable or commercial. I didn’t particularly care for his work with The Walker Brothers although they were very popular especially in Britain. It was his early solo career that I will remember, with songs like Joanna and Lights Of Cincinnati. I really liked his interpretations of songs by Jacques Brel, especially Jackie which was a big hit in Britain, also Mathilde, If You Go Away, Amsterdam, & Next . This morning I was listening to The Seventh Seal which was based on a film by Ingmar Bergman. Scott Walker has certainly left a great body of work and a legacy to be proud of. I think his reputation will continue to grow in the years ahead.

                                                                                                                                                                                

No comments:

Popular Posts