Friday, March 29, 2019

My Afternoon With Marianne Faithfull.


I went over to Warminster on the bus on Friday to meet a friend. I had a quick scout around the charity shops to see what I could find. I didn’t find any interesting books or records but in the Red Cross shop I found two nice photos of Marianne Faithfull. They aren’t modern glossy reprints, they appear to be genuine photos from the 1960’s. On the edges and the back, they are slightly mottled and foxed which is a sign of age. I was really pleased to find them because I have always liked Marianne. To me she has always seemed beautiful, intelligent, a free spirit and a rebel. She might not see herself as that, but I do. I like her music as well, although sadly at present I haven’t got any albums by her. I did see her once. It was at Glastonbury 1999 when she performed in the Acoustic tent. It was so crowded we couldn’t get in there. You could hear ok, but I only got glimpses of her from the entrance to the marquee. I didn’t think much of it at the time but looking back twenty years later I realise that it was a privilege to be in the presence of this legendary iconic singer even if it was only from a distance.

I met S in Wetherspoon’s  and we sat outside in the sunshine and spent a pleasant hour chatting and drinking wine. I asked her to take my photo with Marianne. Then I caught the bus home again. I scanned my photos so that I can show them to you.  I looked on google images and eBay to see if I could find those particular photos to see if I could find out when they were taken or anything about their history, but I couldn’t. I wonder if they might be rare photos. Then I played the only album I have with a song by Marianne which is No Prima Donna and the song is Marianne’s brilliant version of Van Morrison’s Madame George. I have put it below if you want to hear it.


Marianne & I




No comments:

Popular Posts