Sunday, February 16, 2020

It's Too Late To Stop Now by Van Morrison.

Sunday afternoon and another grey and gloomy day. At the moment I am listening to Van Morrison, It’s Too Late To Stop Now. It is the 3 CD + DVD set that came out a few years ago. I’m not going to tell you about the whole package now, but this is what I said about the original album many years ago……….

It’s Too Late To Stop Now was the 3rd Van album I bought after The World Of Them and Astral Weeks  back in the mists of time in 1974 when I lived In Summerhill near Wrexham, North Wales. I was sharing a little house called 'Trem-y-war' (it was a Welsh name) with my brother and a friend Dave. I was 22 years of age. I bought the album in a record shop just around the corner from the bus station In Wrexham. Over the years it has come to be one of my favourite albums. To me, It’s Too Late To Stop Now is the greatest live album ever made. It was recorded at three different concerts, at The Troubadour in Los Angeles, The Santa Monica Civic Auditorium and The Rainbow in London. the London concert was broadcast live on BBC2 TV and on Radio 2 simultaneously. Also, I don’t think there is any overdubbing, the product is exactly as heard in concert.
The album begins with Ain't Nothing You Can Do which was originally recorded by Bobby Bland. I had never heard of Bobby Bland to tell you the truth but that is one of the great things about Van in that he points you towards music you wouldn't otherwise have heard of. Then it is Warm Love followed by Into The Mystic, two of my favourite Van songs. The band on this album is the best band that Van ever had in his career The Caledonia Soul Orchestra. They all deserve a mention, David Hayes Bass, Terry Adams Cello, Bill Atwood Trumpet, Nancy Ellis Viola, Tom Halpin Violin, Tim Kovatch Violin, Jeff Labes Organ/Piano/Arranger/Keyboards, John Platania Guitar, Nathan Rubin Strings Violin, Jack Schroer, Piano/Arranger/Saxophone, David Shaw, Clarinet/Percussion.

The next song I Believe To My Soul is a Ray Charles classic, Van’s version of it is so good he often performs it to this day. I've Been Working is a Van original from the Street Choir album. The Caledonia Soul Orchestra were named after an outtake from that album. Help Me is a Sonny Boy Williamson song that Van obviously loves because it has been a mainstay of his repertoire to this very day. Wild Children is one of the best songs from Hard Nose The Highway. It is a top flight version, as is Domino. I Just Wanna Make Love To You is a first rate song written by Willie Dixon. UK people will probably be more familiar with this song sung by Etta James which was her only UK hit. The next song Bring It On Home To Me is a Van classic that was originally a hit for the great Sam Cooke. It was also an early hit for The Animals. I remember when Van sang this song in Torquay one time it received a standing ovation from some of the audience.

St Dominic's Preview is next, a peerless Van song. Take Your Hand Out Of My Pocket is another Sonny Boy Williamson song but not really one of my favourites but Listen To The Lion on this album is my favourite Van song of all time. It is a magnificent performance displaying the full range of Vans vocal pyrotechnics. Here Comes The Night is next. Then it’s Van’s classic song Gloria. The album ends with great versions of Caravan and Cyprus Avenue. I have enjoyed listening to these songs again on this rainy Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Popular Posts