Tuesday, November 17, 2020

A Strange Encounter.

 

My bird table.

I ran out of bird food yesterday. Looking out of the kitchen window I could see my sparrows arriving at the bird table and there was nothing there for them. I felt sorry for the little blighters, but I did not want to go out for just one item. Then I remembered that I had two bird feeders hanging up that the birds were not using. One of them I had hung on a tree down by my pond and the other one I had just hung on the fence near the compost bin. It was only about two feet off the ground. I decided to empty that one onto the bird table. When I went to take it apart though, I got the shock of my life. Inside the bird feeder, sitting on top of the suet pellets was a tiny little mouse. It must have somehow clambered up the fence and crawled in the hole at the bottom where the birds are supposed to feed from. Once inside, he must have thought, “This is a nice pad”, and moved in. I expect it was nice and warm in there for a wee timorous beastie. I wish I had taken a photo of him to show you, but I did not think at the time. Anyway, I took the feeder apart and he took his chance and jumped out and ran off into the undergrowth. “Cheerio mate, good luck”, I thought.


That was the most exciting thing that has happened for days. It is another grey bleak day here. Every day just merges into the next. I am listening to Charlie Parker at the moment because I have decided that this is Jazz week. I just ordered a CD by Charles Mingus called The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady.  I read that it is one of the greatest jazz albums ever made. I will tell you all about it when it arrives. I cannot think of anything else to tell you about now. Cheerio.

No comments:

Popular Posts