Sunday, February 03, 2019

Snow, Sun & Sawdust.


Last night, finally on day 33 of 2019 I had two pints of cider. I didn’t mean to, I was going to stay in, but my friends phoned up and wanted to know why I hadn’t been out. You can’t ignore people, so I went to the pub. The first pint tasted odd, quite acidic and bitter. I think my taste buds must have gone funny with a month off. By the end of the second drink it was tasting how I remembered it. In the old days I would have gone home afterwards and drank a bottle of wine as well, but I’m not doing that any more.


This morning I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed, and the sun was shining in a cloudless sky although the snow hadn’t melted yet. I knew I had to go for a walk as it was such a nice day. I got my wellies out of the shed. I don’t think I had worn them since Glastonbury 2016. Then I set off, intending to go up the White Horse and see if there was any tobogganing going on. When I got to the top of Alfred Street it looked a bit too icy and steep for my liking. I walked along Bratton Road and then up that lane next to the cemetery and then along the side of a field. I got as far as some farm buildings and I wasn’t sure if I was allowed up there, so I turned back. Also, I didn’t want to meet a farm dog. It was a nice walk though and felt warm in the sun.

When I got home, I thought I better do the mountain of washing up that was in the sink. While I was doing that, I listened to my new album by Killers called Sawdust. The reason I bought it the other day is that I saw them at Glastonbury. When I say I saw them, I mean I heard them from a distance when they played an unannounced set on the John Peel Stage in 2017. After one listen, I like this album a lot. I was surprised to hear their versions of Ruby Don’t Take Your Love To Town and the Dire Straits song Romeo And Juliet. They were both great. I’m glad I invested 50 pence in buying it.
Then I read my Krishnamurti book for February 3rd. Today’s topic was Can The Crude Mind Become Sensitive? It also covered whether a stupid person can become intelligent. You can’t stop being stupid by reading books. There are lots of well-educated people who are incredibly stupid, you only have to look at some politicians to see that. If you are behaving very stupidly the way to solve it is by observing your stupidity and it will solve itself. Anyway, I scanned it. Read it for yourself if you want. I think if you click on the picture it should be readable.
It’s still only 3.00 in the afternoon. I’m not sure what to do for the rest of the day but it will involve watching Les Miserables. I think it is the final gripping episode tonight.


No comments:

Popular Posts