Tuesday, February 05, 2019

What's Going On?


It is Tuesday morning at 10.07. I am enjoying a cup of tea and listening to Trailer Park by Beth Orton. I bought it in Warminster yesterday. The reason I bought it is because Beth is playing in Frome in March. I didn’t know anything about her, so I thought I’d get acquainted with her music. I like this album. Her music is described as Folktronica which a mixture of folk music and electronic. After one listen I particularly like the track I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine. Anyway, when she plays in Frome I’ll tell you all about it. I bought one other CD as well which was What’s Going On? By Marvin Gaye. I got that one because a certain person said that I didn’t have any soul music in my collection. “All you’ve got is folk music and Van Morrison”.  Buying this will shut her up because I think this album is a classic. Maybe the best album in the soul genre of all time. Actually, it is one of the greatest albums in any genre. Considering it is nearly 50 years since it’s release it is very relevant to today’s world. The lyrics are quite prophetic, for instance in concern for the environment which wasn’t a big issue back in 1971.

I wasn’t going to drink yesterday. I had a J2o mango & apple in Wetherspoon’s but I got bored and suggested going somewhere else. In the second pub I had a pint of Thatcher’s cider and we had two games of pool. I won the first game and she won the second. That’s because I can’t concentrate for more than one game. I never went out last night.
I read some of my Krishnamurti book but that takes a lot of concentration as well, to understand what he is on about. I read all of the Wikipedia entry on him last night. I do agree with him on a lot of things such as global outlook: A vision of the whole as distinct from the part; there should never be a sectarian outlook, but always a holistic outlook free from all prejudice. I think that is relevant to the Brexit nonsense that is going on. Britain turning away from its partners in Europe. It will end in disaster. All the countries of the world have to work together to solve the world’s problems. Humanity is part of nature, and if nature is not cared for, it will boomerang on man. Only the right education, and deep affection between people everywhere, will resolve many problems including the environmental challenges.


No comments:

Popular Posts