Thursday, August 12, 2021

From A Distance.


It was quite a nice afternoon yesterday, so I went for a bit of a walk. I headed up this lane known locally as
Snappersnipes. I have tried to find out where that name came from but haven’t found a good explanation. That led to a road called The Butts. I know some people might find that name amusing as well, but I know where the name comes from. In the olden medieval days, it was compulsory for all men in a town to practice archery. That was why the English won such battles as the battle of Crecy in 1346 when the English army were firing 6.000 arrows a minute. The area of a town set aside for archery was called The Butts. Anyway, I walked along there to Newtown and headed towards the White Horse. By the time I got to the top of Newtown I was knackered and hot. I sat on a bench and surveyed the view of the White Horse from a distance. 


This man with a friendly greyhound came along and we had a bit of a chat. After he had walked on, I realised that he was the first person I had spoken to since last Saturday. I walked on a bit further as far as the Equestrian Centre and took a photo of some horses and then turned back. My original plan was to walk through the woods and come out at Chalford, but I knew the path would be boggy after all the recent rain. That is my excuse for not walking further anyway. I’ll try and have a longer walk next time. This morning I put another book for sale on eBay. The House Without Windows by Barbara Newhall Follett signed by the illustrator Jackie Morris. 


I only bought it about a year ago. It is a children’s book, not really my thing, but I was fascinated by the authors life, and her mysterious disappearance. That is my news for today. I have to go to the post office in a minute and I might go for another walk later if the sky brightens up a bit. 


No comments:

Popular Posts