Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Qui sait où passe le temps?,


Wednesday already. When I went down to feed my fishes earlier it was cloudy, but quite warm. I don’t think it will rain today, so I will try and go for a walk this afternoon. I’ll take my camera and see if I can get a few photos to show you tomorrow, maybe. I was mooching through my books to find one to put on eBay and came across one called
The Young British poets published in 1971. Notice how there is only one female poet on the cover picture!. The poetry scene was very sexist in those days. Before I put it on sale, I started reading the poems, as you do.  My favourites were by Seamus Heaney, Derek Mahon and Michael Longley. That is quite ironic because those three are all Irish. I wonder what they thought at the time about being described as British. Maybe they were just grateful to get published. They all went on to achieve great things. I bet the compiler of the book didn’t think one of them would one day be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. There is a connection with yesterday’s post when I mentioned seeing Ian Rankin at Van Morrison’s Lit Up Inside concert at the Lyric Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue, because Michael Longley was also there. He read some of Van’s lyrics that memorable night. 


There are some great photos in the book as well, when they were all young and just starting out. Apart from that, I haven’t got any more news to tell you today. I haven’t been in the pub since Saturday. I never even put the telly on last night. I was listening to BBC 6 Music all evening. It was great, they even played part of a Joni Mitchell BBC concert from 1970 that I remember watching when it was first broadcast 51 years ago. That is over half a century. Qui sait où passe le temps?, as they might say in France. Anyway, the sun is trying to come out, hand me down my big boots, I do believe I’ll go walking in the woods. See you tomorrow.




No comments:

Popular Posts