Sunday, January 10, 2021

Poor Old Horse.

The Old Grey Mare.

 It was a nice sunny Sunday morning, so as soon as I had eaten my muesli, I put a Mars bar in my pocket and set off for the White Horse. It was cold, but because it is uphill all the way I soon warmed up. By the time I got up there I was sweating. It is about 740 feet above sea level. The poor old horse is in a terrible condition. It is so faded you can hardly see it from a distance. They are not planning to clean it until 2022. Having said that, it is still a nice place to visit. We are lucky to be so close to the countryside to get some exercise. During this lockdown it must be terrible for people who are stuck in high-rise flats in large cities with nowhere nice nearby to go for a walk. The rules are that you must stay in your local area, so we are extremely fortunate to live in a rural area. I think I was out for about two hours and must have walked about four or five miles.


Yesterday, I watched Arsenal v Newcastle in the F.A. Cup. It wasn’t much of a game. Arsenal won in the end after extra time. I watched a film as well Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy from a book by John Le Carre. It was ok, but you have to concentrate to follow the twists and turns in the complicated plot. I also got up to about page 85 in my book. A character called Scupper Walker mentions an opera singer called Miliza Korjus who I had never heard of, so I looked her up and ended up listening to her on Youtube. She isn’t really my sort of thing, but it is quite educational to find out about these people.


Finally last night, I ended up watching The Pretenders in concert at Austin City Limits. I like The Pretenders, especially Chrissie Hynde. I met the guitarist James Walbourne a few years ago when his other band The Rails supported Richard Thompson in Bath. Anyway, that will do for today. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

 

 

No comments:

Popular Posts