Monday, January 11, 2021

Save The Bees!


Monday morning arrives dull and cloudy. It is a couple of degrees warmer than yesterday, but as so often happens in this country, a slight increase in temperature means rain. It is drizzling outside. I was planning to start my wall project this week, but not to worry. It is only January, there will be plenty of opportunities before Spring and things start growing again. 
I just ordered another book on eBay called A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold. I had never heard of Aldo Leopold until a couple of days ago. In the book I am reading now, Tate Walker is teaching Kya to read from Aldo Leopold’s book. I looked him up on Wikipedia. It said, ‘Aldo Leopold (January 11, 1887 – April 21, 1948) was an American author, philosopher, naturalist, scientist, ecologist, forester, conservationist, and environmentalist. He was a professor at the University of Wisconsin and is best known for his book A Sand County Almanac (1949), which has sold more than two million copies. Leopold was influential in the development of modern environmental ethics and in the movement for wilderness conservation. His ethics of nature and wildlife preservation had a profound impact on the environmental movement, with his ecocentric or holistic ethics regarding land. He emphasized biodiversity and ecology and was a founder of the science of wildlife management.


That is why I ordered the book. I’ll read it when I have finished Where The Crawdads Sing. The planet has never been more threatened than it is now. Climate change is a bigger problem even than Covid. I read yesterday that Britain has approved a pesticide that kills bees. How can they do that and claim to have green policies? This pesticide is banned in the EU. The negative effects of Brexit are already becoming apparent. I will have to see if there is a petition or some way of protesting about this. Another thing I do not like about Brexit is that if Britain is now free to do a trade deal with the USA, I don’t want the NHS to be sold off and I don’t want the country swamped with genetically modified food. I better stop now.



 

 

2 comments:

SuzG said...

YES! Aldo Leopold spent so much time in my area. In fact, when I lived in Madison (have since moved to the country near Madison) I lived close to the Aldo Leopold Nature Center, where there is a replica of his "shack". Hope you are enjoying both books! Sand County is a very detailed and interesting read, though I haven't read it in several years.

Pat said...

Cheers SuzG,

I only ordered it today. I'll read it when I have finished Sand County Almanac.

All the best,

Pat.

Popular Posts