Tuesday, January 12, 2021

The Man Who Haunted Himself.


Another rainy day, never mind, at least it is slightly warmer. If it stops raining this afternoon I might go outside and take the hanging baskets and pots off the wall in preparation for painting it. I was up late again last night. On the Talking Pictures channel, I watched Roger Moore in the film The Man Who Haunted himself. It is psychological thriller made in 1970. It is one of Roger Moore’s least known films, but one of his best in my opinion. In most of his films he doesn’t act, he is just Roger Moore, raising an eyebrow occasionally to show emotion. In this film he plays a man in complete meltdown. It is brilliant. Watch it if you get the chance. After that I carried on reading my book. I am up to page 244 now and really enjoying it. I have learned a lot as well. For instance, grits are mentioned quite a lot. I had heard of grits because it is mentioned in Sloop John B by The Beach Boys and I had heard Grits Ain’t Groceries by Little Milton. I knew it was food but didn’t know what exactly. I looked it up and it is a type of porridge made from cornmeal. The settlers in America learned about it from the Natives.

Grits.

Also, a poet called Galway Kinnell is quoted, so I had to look him up as well. In Wikipedia it said, ‘Galway Mills Kinnell (February 1, 1927 – October 28, 2014) was an American poet. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry for his 1982 collection, Selected Poems and split the National Book Award for Poetry with Charles Wright. From 1989 to 1993 he was poet laureate for the state of Vermont’. It is very educational reading Where The Crawdads Sing. I also saw that he died of leukaemia which is what Kya’s mother died of in the book. I should get to the end tonight or tomorrow.


Galway Kinnell.

By the way, I did find a petition online protesting about the pesticide that kills bees. It is organised by Change.org, so I signed that as well. I doubt if it will change anything but that is all you can do. Anyway, I can’t sit around here all day. It is already gone 2.00 in the afternoon and I haven’t done my Tai Chi yet or fed my birds and fishes. See you tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Popular Posts