Monday, January 13, 2020

Frazzled.


When I got up this morning, I found that I had sold another book overnight. A signed copy of Frazzled by Ruby Wax. That is one of the wonderful things about the internet, you can make money even while you are asleep. That made three books which I took to the post office today. After that I went to the supermarket and bought some provisions and scurried home. Storm clouds were gathering, the wind was getting up and it was beginning to rain. I put a couple of books in my shop to replace the ones I sold. It always takes ages because I start reading them. One of the books was a biography of Lynyrd Skynyrd which isn’t really my thing. Someone will enjoy it though and it’s in very nice condition.The other one is much more to my taste, called Ring Of Bone, the collected poems of Lew Welch. I only discovered him recently. He was an American poet associated with the Beat Generation. When I looked him up on Wikipedia I discovered that he was the step-father of the singer Huey Lewis which I found quite interesting. I’ll tell you more about him later when I’m more familiar with his work. Apart from that I have just been pottering about. 

Christine Keeler.
There is a series on the telly at the moment called The Trial Of Christine Keeler which is a fascinating insight into the Profumo Affair which brought down the British government in the 1960’s. It led me to start looking on the internet for more background. Some of the events took place in the Flamingo Club in Soho, London and I was amazed to find that the resident band in the Flamingo at the time was Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames. In fact, one of the members of Georgie’s band was the brother of Lucky Gordon who was one of the protagonists in the whole affair. I’m looking forward to next Sunday’s episode. I think despite the wind and rain I might go for an early evening pint before University Challenge. See you tomorrow.

Christine Keeler, David Bailey, Penelope Tree & Marianne Faithfull.



No comments:

Popular Posts