Thursday, January 16, 2020

We Are The World


I sold another book today, a nice hardback copy of Specimen Days by Walt Whitman published in 1979. I’ll post it tomorrow when I go to Warminster to see my friend. I’m not going out today, it is too rainy and windy. I’m quite happy indoors, alone but not lonely. I have my books and my music to occupy me, and there are plenty of household chores to do if I feel so inclined. I had another listen to Mariee Sioux earlier and I’m listening to What a Beautiful Place by Catherine Howe at the moment. What a nice album it is. I am a sucker for female singers.

I just put two books in my shop. Firstly, a limited signed edition of Sleep, Pale Sister by Joanne Harris. If you haven’t heard of her you might have seen the film of Chocolat which is her most famous book. The other book for my shop is The Voice Is All, The Lonely Victory Of Jack Kerouac by Joyce Johnson. It is a memoir by Joyce of the days when she was Jack’s girlfriend. I haven’t read it unfortunately. The number of books I mean to read is growing by the day. I ought to set time aside every day for reading.
Last year I read a page of Krishnamurti every day. I have finished that book now and have ordered another one. I’ll tell you about that when it arrives. Last night on youtube I watched a speech he made to the United Nations in 1985. You can find it if you have a spare hour on your hands. It made a lot of sense to me. Afterwards, there was a question and answer session and he was asked by a man in the audience, “How can one person changing their life change the whole world?” and K replied, “Try it and you will find out”, which I thought was a really good answer. 

After the disappointments of Brexit, the UK election, Trump, climate change, Syria etc I have just about given up on politics. It is political ideologies, organised religions and greedy corporations that are destroying the world. We are all individually responsible for helping to create this mess. The world will only get better when each individual person gets their own house in order, and that is what I intend to do. I'll start today by tidying this place up a bit. See you tomorrow.



No comments:

Popular Posts